8

Last October

The bed creaked. A body laid behind me. I turned to see that my honey had finally returned the room. I smiled and crawled closer to him. His brown eyes looked up at me, giving me a smile of his own.

“What were you thinking about so hard,” he asked. “I stood watching you from the door for a few minutes and you didn’t even notice.” Of course my thoughts were occupied. Zeke had just told me an hour before that he was going to ask that stupid Alisha out. For once I just wanted it to be the two of us. Why did he always have to invite other girls. I felt his hand rub the side of my face and I focused my attention back on him. “What’s wrong Paisley?”

“Nothing honey. Just wondering if I should get dressed for the Halloween carnival here or go home and have you pick me up there.”

“Just get dressed here. Tonight is going to be so much fun.” It would be but I’m sure the word “Fun” held different meanings for us. I would never allow my honey to ask that girl out.

“I know it will be,” I replied.

“Then get dress and let’s go already. I’m hoping Alisha will be at the carnival. She told me she had a party to go to but she would try and make it.” I listen to my honey chatter on and on about that girl. I removed myself from the bed.

“I’m going to get my stuff and get dress,” I told him leaving the room. I walked into the hall bathroom. The bathroom was still filled with steam. It hung to the mirror, hiding it’s reflective surface from view. I could smell the soap that my honey had used when he took his shower. I stood there trying to imagine my honey as he went around the room preparing for his shower. Reaching down into my bag, I pulled out the black clothes. Earlier this week I had decided that I would be the Grim Reaper this year.

My pants fell silently to the floor with the release of the button. I stepped out of my jeans and replaced them with the black spandex pants. My shirt was next. The tight black shirt completed the outfit that would go under the robe. Easing the robe over my head, I took an uneasy glance into the mirror. Now that the steam had released its hold on the mirror, I could see the shadows. They were fidgety, it was like they knew something was going to happen tonight. I smiled to myself. Something was definitely going to happen.

Black eye makeup completed my look. I put the hood up and walked out of the bathroom. Returning to Zeke room I saw that he too had put on his costume. For some reason my honey had decided to go as the scarecrow from the wizard of oz. I frowned at his choice. Of all the things to go as. He caught me looking and laughed.

“There’s a reason behind this,” he said. “So are you ready?”

“Yup, my scythe and mask are downstairs, so I’m good to go.”

“Good.” My honey grabbed my arm and escorted me down the stairs. I picked my mask up from its resting place on the coffee table and placed the two strings around each of my ears. The scythe was the last thing I needed and with that Zeke and I left the house.

The drive to the carnival was quick. Children ran and laughed all around us. The full moon hung above us as we entered the chaotic scene before us. Loud noises and bright colors invaded my senses. There was so many things I wanted to do with my honey. First would be the haunted house. With a free hand I entwined my hand with his.

“To the haunted house we go,” I told him. We ran through the crowds of people hand in hand. There was nothing that could beat this feeling. I loved Halloween. The creepiness, the horror it could invoke in people, who wouldn’t love this holiday. I saw a flash of red out of the corner of my eye. I turned. So that’s why he wanted to be the scarecrow, I thought to myself. Alisha stood off to the side of a makeshift tombstone. Her arms around some guys neck. I watched as she brought his head down to her and kissed him.