19

A sinister giggle fills the room as a cold wind is winding itself around me. I lay there quietly, trying to avoid the dread creeping up on me. More laughter rides along the breeze of cool air.

Slowly I pull the covers surrounding me over my head. Tightly I hold on to it as I feel a tug. The tugging becomes more persistent with each passing second. I wrap it closer, hiding underneath the warmth. My eyes close against the laughter and whispering at the bottom of my bed. Another tug and the force of of it rips the blanket from my fingers, threatening to take my fingers along with it.

"Why do you hide from me Paisley," a small voice ask. I focus on keeping my eyes shut. It is this act alone the keeps me from seeing the speaker who sits on my bed. "Oh come on Paisley, I thought we were friends." A girlish laugh tickles my skin, causing my hair to stand on end. I refuse to give her what she wants.

A scream of frustration. "I just wanted to talk to you and this...this is how you treat your "best friend". The bed shakes beneath me as I feel a force hit the mattress twice. "You know, I could have just killed you but no. I wanted to give you the chance you never gave us...the chance to save yourself. All you have to do is apologize. Tell me how sorry you are, that's all I want."

I know what words will leave my lips long before my mouth opens. I will myself not to say them but it is too late.

"I can't apologize," I say. 

I can hear the anger in the voice as she speaks. "And why not," she sneers. With my eyes shielding me from the scene that's about to unfold, I do not hesitate as I say,

"I'm not sorry." The words that escape hold truth in them. I was not sorry for anything that I have done nor will I be sorry for anything the I will do in the future.

Maniacal laughter from the girlish voice. A cackle that threatens to burst the eardrum and cause blood to leak from the ears. I place my hands over my ears to block out the noise.

"Well, I tried. I always knew you were heartless. A human shell void of any emotion." A sigh. "Well Paisley, you leave me no choice. Open your eyes and look at me. I want to see your eyes as they fill with fear when I hand down your punishment.

I lay there refusing to let the voice see the small tremors that rock my body.

"Open your eyes," she screams. Hands start to caress my face, nails dig into the softness of my skin as the rake across my cheek. A gasp escapes, my heart pounds painfully in my chest. I fear what may happen next. Instinctively my hands reach up to cover my eyes. Skeletal fingers grip my hand, surrounding my index finger. A familiar memory replays itself over and over as a cold breath whispers in my ear. I lay still as they begin to sing.

"Eenie, meenie, minie, mo." With each word spoken the skeletal hand pry one of my fingers away. It isn't long before my eyes are stripped of their only protection. Fingers pinch my eyelids as they are forcibly stretch open, forcing me to face my awaited fate.

I watch as a small shadow glares at me from the bottom of my bed. She sits cross legged, a smile spreading slowly on her face.

"Much better," she laughs. She crawls up my body. The bed shifts with each of her slow and deliberate movements. I struggle to sit upright but hands thrust me back down on the bed. She continue to crawl until she is staring in my eyes. Another smile is given to me.

Her shadowy form bends down towards me. "Do you know how long I've waited to get you like this," she whispers along my skin. "It's been too long Paisley. I'm sure you know what your punishment will be already. Death is the only way for us to gain retribution for what you did." A small tongue juts out and licks my cheek. "What you don't know is when it'll be. I want you looking over your shoulder at every turn. In every shadow that you pass we will be there lurking, waiting for our chance. My final warning, even unw your dreams you'll never be safe."

A blast of cold air as I watch the shadows surrounding me fade into the darkness. I take a quick glance around my room, letting out a sigh as I do. I reach for my phone, my fingers dialing the only person who would be willing to comfort me at a time like this.

********

Zeke POV

A noise wakes me up. I run my fingers through my hair as I try to remember what I heard. Reaching for my phone I see I have a missed call. My eyes stare at the display as I struggle to see who the call was from. Paisley. I let out a frustrated sigh. At three in the morning I knew it must have been something important. My kitten would never call so late if it wasn't.

I let out another sigh. Trying to think if it was the ringing of the phone that woke me up. I sit up and begin to dial my kitten's number. My finger hovers over the send button. Voices are carried on the breeze. I hear my mother's panic stricken voice. She's pleading with someone but the words are to muffled to make out. I take a deep breath as I hear feet stomping up the steps.

"Please don't do this." My mother's voice.

"I'm sorry," a man voice says as a sudden force causes my bedroom door to be ripped from its hinges. My eyes stare in disbelief as several men enter my room and pull me from the bed. The phone in my hand hits the floor with a bang and shatters as I realize what is happening.