Our Little Boy - 14

"Now, promise me you're gonna play nice, baby." I said staring into JJ's eyes and gripping his shoulders. He nodded his head vigorously. "I promise." he said. "And you remember what I always tell you before going to preschool?" I asked. He looked up and gripped Nanoo as he thought about it. "Don't run too fast and don't climb on things." he recited.

I smiled and hugged him tight. "Good boy. Now I'm gonna be upstairs with daddy if you need me, okay?" I said, worrying for his own safety. He nodded again and looked ready to dash off into the lawn to go play with the other kids. "Okay, I love you." i said. "I love you too." he replied distractedly and raced oveer to the other kids. 

I smiled and turned back into the house and rushed upstairs, tryinghard to avoid any contact with anyone just yet. I pushed Hunter's door open and saw him sat up on his bed, Micael lying lazily across an armchair, Dani stood there with Misty in her arms and frowning at Hunter. Hunter didn't look too happy either.

When I walked in, I smiled at Hunter but he didnt smile back. Okay? What have I done now?

I shrugged and just went over to pick Misty up from Dani's arms. "No." I heard Hunter growl as he stood up. "Leave her." he said grabbing my wrist. "What?" I asked confused. Hunter jerked his head towards the door at Dani but she just rolled her eyes at him. "See you later." she whispered to me and she stalked out.

"What was that about?" I asked Hunter sternly. He didn't answer me as his lips tightened and he glared behind me at Micael. "You too, dude." Hunter said. Micale looked disappointed. "Why can't I stay?" he whined. "Because I said so."

I looked pityingly at Micael. "You can go look after JJ outside? Try to warm up to him?" I suggested. I saw his eyes light up and he leaped over the end board of the bed and out through the door. I chuckled slightly. "You think this is funny?" Hunter asked frowning at me and letting go o my wrist finally.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I replied, shaking my head. "How come Dani was there for you ad JJ? Through his birth as well? His first steps and his first word? She was there but not me?" he snarled, looking genuinely angry.

I stared back at him. "First of all, she was the one who suspected I was gonna have a baby so of course she knew first! And secondly, I did try to call you after JJ was born but you did your disappearing act -"

"Because I was looking for you!" he yelled at me. I stopped being angry and looked back at him. "Really?" I whispered. "Yes, really. I couldn't let you leave me like that." he snapped. I sighed. "Hunter, I'm so sorry. If I knew..."

He shook his head. "It's the fact that Dani didn't tell me either after I came back." he said softly, he looked so hurt, bless him. I didn't say anything and wrapped my arms around his waist, missing his warmth and the way he smelt.

"I'm sorry too, baby. For being a total jerk." he said hugging me back tighter. "It's okay, you always were one." I replied, burying my face in his shirt. "So when are we moving your stuff in, then?" he asked. I pulled back and looked up into his golden eyes. "What stuff?" I asked. 

"From your house. You're moving back in with me, right?" he asked, looking hopeful. 

I didn't say anything.

"Right?" he asked again.

"Hunter, I - uhm -"

"What? No, no, I'm serious now. You're staying with me this time. I let you slip out of my grip once and it's not happening again. Especially with my son." he said. This reminded me of when I told him I was 'moving away' and how he was ordering me to stay. I knew I couldn't do this to him again.