Our Little Boy - 21

The big day finally arrived six months after he'd proposed.

I was getting married to the one guy who'd had my heart since the day I laid eyes on him.

"Didnt think you'd be up so damn early." I heard Dani yawn behind me. I was stood at the balcony in Hunter's room, just admiring the beautiful view as the sun rose up behind the massive forest. "I couldn't sleep properly. I'm a nervous wreck." I said huddling into Hunter's t-shirt.

Dani stretched and stood beside me and raised her eyebrow. "Or is it just because Hunter didn't sleep with you tonight?" she asked. Cassie and Dani had insisted that me and Hunter don't see each other until the actual wedding ceremony and stupidly, we both agreed to it. He let me stay in his room with the kids while he went to crash downstairs with Xavier and the other boys. 

I sighed and rested my chin my hands. "That too." I said. Dani put her arm around my shoulders and hugged me. "Look, I know you're nervous but c'mon. It'll just be like normal after the wedding. You two used to fight like a married couple anyway."

"What if he gets bored of me?" I asked suddenly. Dani rolled her eyes. "Hunter's been head over heels for you since you guys were in high school. Even after you left he still loved you. Trust me, you're a keeper." she winked.

I thought about it and turned back to watch the sunrise, fiddling with my engagement ring. It was so beautiful. It was this shiny silver ring with three diamonds across it, the one in the middle being the biggest. Hunter said it was only simple because he wanted our wedding ring to be even better.

How cute.

"But does he love me because he wants to or because he has to?" I asked. Dani only looked at me blankly. "You know...the whole 'mate' thing." I said when she clearly didn't have a clue what I was on about.

"Ohh. That. Look that's nothing. It's just like an invisible bond between two people. Don't think of it as he's now stuck to you forever because he has to. He'd gladly be stuck to you forever, given the chance." she chuckled.

"Mhmm." I replied thoughtfully. Dani held my hand and looked at me properly. "Please don't get cold feet now, Ray. I know I cant stand my brother sometimes and wish he'd drive into a pit of lava and can't open the door or something but y'know...he loves you. Don't break his heart again." she said softly.

I was about to reply when I felt somone tug at the hem of Hunter's shirt. "Mom, come pick her up. She's waking me up." JJ said, sleepily rubbing his eyes. I smiled down at him. "Good thing too. You have to be up so we can get you a haircut." I said running my fingers through his huge afro. 

He stepped back from me, horrified. "No, mom!" he said holding onto his hair. Me and Dani laughed. "She doesnt mean all of it, babe. Just get it trimmed." Dani said. 

JJ shook his head "Why?" he asked, "Because your mommy and daddy are getting married. You don't wanna look smart for the wedding?"

JJ frowned. "I don't want mommy and daddy to get married." he said. "Why not?" I asked him. "Because Dylan at school said his mommy and daddy got married and got a diforce that means that Dylan doesn't get to see his daddy again." JJ said.

Both me and Dani stared at him, mouth open. Who knew that four year olds could know so much?

"No, JJ that's not what's gonna happen." I said softly, crouching down to him.  "Yes it is. I'm gonna go tell dad." he said. And before I could stop him, he'd dashed back inside the room and out the door. I walked back in shaking my head. "That boy." I mumbled.

I went over to Scarlett's cot and picked her up and then rocked her gently back to sleep. Dani sighed heavily and then flopped on the bed. "Today's gonna such an amazing day, Ray. I can feel it!" she said.