Chapter 8

I awakened with a start, my heart beating faster then a hummingbirds. I sat up quietly and listen. Drip! Drip! Drip! The bathroom faucet was leaking again. I listen more closely. Silence, nothing out of the normal. I lay back down and let out a slow breath. This was beginning to get old. I'm always on guard. Always checking over my shoulder.  I look  out the window, it is already bright outside and the birds are chirping. The sky is a lovely blue color with huge fluffy clouds. I used to look upon those clouds when I was little. I used to find little objects inside of them. But that was a long time ago, when everything was rainbows and butterflies.

I haven't see or spoke to either my mother or Max. They have been avoiding me and I am glad for that. I don't think about that night. The night where the worst thing possible could happen to me. My own mother didn't save me. That nasty excuse of a man should not be alive.I start shaking just thinking about it.

I hear a car out front and jump up. I push the curtain aside and peek out into the world. It's the mailman! Maybe today will be the day I can leave this nightmare. I wait until she pulls away and run outside. I check the mail and go through each envelope. Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing and nothing. I sigh. I'm frustrated, I just want to leave. I go to slam the mailbox flap shut and notice another envelope. I grab it. It's addressed to me.

I rip it open and and look inside. YES! My birth certificate! I laugh. I am so happy, I can finally leave! I rush into the house and grab my duffel bag. I check to make sure I have everything. Then I check again and throw some random things back in. I look around my room to make sure I am not leaving anything I'm going to miss. I laugh out loud. Right, like I would miss anything here.  I take a last glance at my room before shutting the door. I'm excited, nervous, and scared as hell. I sigh, walk down the hall and out the door into the beginning of something new.