Chapter 2

I drifted in and out of consciousness throughout the night.  My head was throbbing, and every time I breathed in and out there was a sharp pain in my ribs. There were definitely a few broken ribs. I looked down at my shirt and seen all the blood, but it was dry by now.  I slowly turned by head, and seen, to my horror, what my room looked like. There was blood everywhere. It looked like someone had killed someone, and dragged out of the room.

The room looked like how I felt.  My head was seriously killing me now. I needed an Advil.  I turned my head to the right, it felt like someone stabbed me right the neck. Tears filled my eyes, the pain was almost unbearable.  I slowly sat up, making sure not to hurt anything too badly. I swung my feet to the side of the bed, and stood up. My head was spinning and my leg hurt horribly.

 I started walking towards the bathroom, but got dizzy and tripped. Hitting my head again, on a side table.  I pulled myself up, and walked carefully to the bathroom. I shut the door, and locked it. I stood before the full length mirror on the door. I was shocked. I didn’t recognize the girl in the mirror at all.

 I looked at her from the head to the toes.  Her long black curly hair was caked with dried blood. She had a huge open gash on the top of her forehead. The gash was about an inch and a half long and very deep. Dried blood was all over her face. She had a black eye on the right, and both eyes were underlined with black.

She looked at the girl's nose. Ashley remembered hearing then the loud crack of her nose, as Max punched her in it.  Her nose was broken, that would explain the black eyes. Her hand automatically went up to it, trying to fix it. Her nose was crooked and there was still a line of dried blood trailing out of it.

  She looked down at her neck. It was swollen and red. I slowly took off my shirt, and undid my bra. I was appalled. My ribs were completely black and blue.  You could see where his fist can on impact to my stomach. I took my pants off, and turned the shower on hot. I needed something that would loosen my muscles up.

 I got in the shower, and the hot water felt amazing on my injuries. I sat down and just let the water run on down my back, relaxing me. I started to think about all the times Max came home, and felt like taking his anger out, and deciding I was a good candidate to do that too.  I felt my eyes fill up with tears, and let them spill out. I cried and cried. I cried for what seemed like forever. It felt so nice to just let go, and let myself be hurt.  Once the tears started though, they didn’t stop.

 Finally I told myself that it was time to get up. I slowly stood up, and washed my hair. I washed my body, being extra careful when it came to my head and ribs. I made sure to scrub all the dried blood off, and the water turned bright red.  I sit in the shower for another ten minutes, and finally decide it was time to get out. I turn the water off and step out of the shower. I wrap my towel around me, and examine my body in the mirror. I look better, but barely. It was going to take a few days, before I could heal.

I look in the medicine cabinet, and find something to put on the gash on my head.  I find Neosporin, and apply it to the cut. I then take a big bandage, and put it over it. I walk in the room, and the mess reminds me of what happened last night.  I start rummaging through my clothes, looking for sweatpants and a Hoodie. I sit on the bed, and think about what to do about all the blood. I finally decide, it won’t come out, so I throw a rug over it.

 I heard a car pull in the driveway and notice it is only 2 in the afternoon. Too early for Max to be home, and so I know it is my mother. I sit on the couch, until she comes in. I heard the key in the lock, and she walks in, throwing her stuff on the ground. She doesn’t even notice me. She walks into the kitchen, and sits down.

 I start walking into the kitchen, taking my shirt off. I walk into the kitchen and stand in front of her. She doesn’t look at me. “Mom” I said, waiting for her to look up. Finally she does. She looks at the bruises, and her mouth slides open

. “Do you believe me now?!” I cried