Monday Part One

Zeph trailed through my mind, last night's episode was all I could think about. It pained me every time someone would ask how it went and I just want to blurt out, "Amazing but I wish he hadn't left." I couldn't explain this feeling, bubbles floating in my stomach whenever I thought about him then a bitter aftertaste when I remembered he was a one night deal.

"Are you ready?" Trinity asked, knocking on the door. "The princes are waiting." I insisted on getting myself prepared, needing some alone time. My core hurt, stretching with every stride I took. Now everything would remind me of him. A conflicting part of me wanted it to stay and another wanted it to go away.

"Yes," I told her, brushing back a curl in my hair. These princes wouldn't come to par with what happened last night, I knew it in my soul. Reluctantly, I walked out of my room and followed Trinity down the hall, towards the grand staircase.

"Oh, Serene, you're going to like them," she purred, unable to contain her joy.

"I just slept with a god last night, I'm sure they're not all that exciting," I muttered, not amused.

She wiggled her brows with a sneaky simper. "Believe me, I'm sure there someone's here who'll be up to par." Again, I extremely doubted that but stayed silent. "Come on, it was your first time. Your first time's always going to be the most memorable."

At the end of the grand staircase, a line of soldiers facing one another stood by the rails, three on the left, and three on the right. In the center, Avant stood proudly in his white tunic, holding a piece of paper. His eyes narrowed on me as I walked down with Trinity by my side. He nodded for her to leave. I would have refused if she hadn't slipped out of my grasp that split second, returning to the maids' chamber.

"Princess Serene," he announced theatrically. His voice annoyed me, deep yet girlish at the same time. "The five princes shall now present themselves to you, bestowing a bow when they approach." His gaze dimmed on me. "Act accordingly."

I rolled my eyes and just to defy him, I crossed my arms, giving him an obviously inattentive expression. "Is this good?"

He scowled but continued. "Presenting from the Cameron Kingdom of Knowledge, Prince Ethan."

A good-looking man in a blue dress shirt and slacks walked out the side door, running a hand through his blond hair. Blue eyes smiled behind his glasses, his lip tilting in a grin, walking towards me smoothly. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Princess Serene," he greeted, bowing his head slightly. When our eyes connected, his smile extended to his cheeks. It didn't flutter my heart but it did intrigue me as he walked to Avant's side, keeping his eyes trained on me.

"Presenting from the Piper Kingdom of Nature, Prince Hayden."

A man with the cutest freckles over his nose strolled out, his boyish smile could make any girl blush—except me, that is. His hair was deep orange, reminding me of the kind you'd see on a leaf in autumn. He was in the traditional green tunic of the Piper Kingdom. He was cute, tall and although he wasn't as built as Zeph, he had a few muscles to give off the impression he wasn't weak. He inclined his head politely. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Princess Serene." He handed me a white gardenia, pleasing me. I adored gardenias. "A gift for her Highness."

"Thank you," I accepted, sniffing the beautiful petals. Behind him, I could see Prince Ethan frown that he hadn't granted me a gift. Prince Hayden took a step back, unaware of his rivals glare beside him.

"Presenting from Ambrose Kingdom of Strength, Prince Ajax."

A hulky man marched in with a straightforward expression on his face. His dark eyes loomed over me, sizing me up with a flagrant smirk on his face as if saying "I'm going to break you" like I was a toy for him. The deep crimson attire he wore only made him look menacing. I gulped, hiding my discouragement behind a forced smile. He bowed, getting down on one knee. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Princess Serene." His voice was deep and assertive. I just nodded back like all the other times. He stood up, pacing back to the row of men beside Avant.