Chapter 21: Giving In

Chapter 21

Giving In

After my bath, I felt a lot better. The sores were gone, and the pained had been numbed. My skin had returned to his normal color as well. It looked like nothing had happened, and I had already forgiven Tobias for hurting me. I brought it on myself, and I’d been around the general long enough to know he was beating himself up worse then any belt ever could.

“Nina?”

“Yes.” She stopped folded some of the general’s clothes that laid strung about the room.

“Can I see Nyko?”

She gave me a smile and nodded. “He being kept in the guest room at the end of the hall.”

“Thank you,” I called as I hurried from the room and ran down the hall. Stopping at the door, I pocked my head inside. “Nyko?” I found him sitting on the bed, running his fingers along one of my collars. “Nyko.”

He looked up and smiled. “Raja.” Jumping to his feet, he ran over to me and hugged me tightly. “I was so scared. I thought they’d take me away for sure, and I’d never get to see you again.”

I hugged him back. “Tobias, he gets upset easy. You get used to it after awhile.”

He pulled back. “He scares me. His eyes are-are different.”

“Yeah when he pissed they glow practically.” I walked over to the bed and flung myself onto it.

“It doesn’t scare you.” Nyko hurried over and sat beside me.

“I’m used to it, I guess. I’m been with him for two years now. Umm… Nyko that man, he didn’t try to touch you or anything.”

He shook his head. “After you left the older man took me to a room. I stayed there for awhile and then they brought me here. I haven’t left this room.” He glanced around. I’m going to be trapped here forever, aren’t I?”

I looked up at him to see tears forming. “Oh, Nyko.” Sitting up, I patted his back. “No, I’m going to find you a way home. I’ll get you back to your lover.”

He stiffen and tugged on the shirt he was wearing.

“So,” I said with a grin. “Who it is?”

He shook his head. “Um… you don’t know him.”

“I don’t?” I braced my arm behind me and leaned back. “Two years and everything changed. Was he banished from another tribe?”

Nyko quickly nodded. “Yeah, his tribe couldn’t stand looking at his eyes anymore.” He chewed on his lip and rubbed his hand down his legs.

“Are you still getting use to each other, you seem kind of nervous?”

“Um… yeah,” he breathed. “It’s still kind of awkward between us. But I like him so much.” He looked truly saddened about being snatched away from his beloved.

“Hmm…” I fell back and stared up at the ceiling. “Well I’ll get you back to him. He’s your beloved and you deserve to be with him.”

“I hope,” Nyko whispered, rubbing his arm. “I really do hope you think so.”

***

“Raja?” 

I turned to the door to see Tobias. I gave him a small smile.

“Hi,” he cleared his throat. “I-I um bought you something.” He hurried over to the bed where I was sitting and placed a box on my lap. It was rather heavy.