Chapter 23: I Love the Devil

Chapter 23

I Love the Devil

I had never felt so out of place than sitting in my own family’s hut. Azuka was guarding he door with his arms folded. I guess he had taken everything that had happened earlier personally, because he wasn’t giving me death looks. 

Glancing down at my leg, I rubbed the dried blood from my skin. It wasn’t too deep and would heal quick enough. I just hoped that the cut on Tobias’s head would do the same. Thankfully they had just knocked him out and hadn’t thrown a spear through his chest. 

The door swung open, and my father entered. 

I quickly stood. “Dad? Where-”

“Don’t say that creature’s name in this house.” He walked over and hugged me tightly. “You’re safe now Raja. You’ll be well looked after. I talked to Zev.”

I jerked away from him and backed up. “No. I won’t go with him.”

“Raja,” he said sternly. “Have you forgotten your pledge to Zev?”

“I’m not a virgin,” I stated firmly. “I broke it. If anything I should be banished.”

My father rubbed his forehead. “From what Nyko has told us that demon treated you like a slave. I know Zev won't hold that against you. He’ll forgive you.”

“I won’t go.” I stood straight and met his eyes. 

“You will do as your told,” snapped Azuka. 

I glared at him. “No I won’t.”

“Raja,” sighed my father. “I know you’ve experienced a lot of changes over the past years, but you’re home now. As a member of my family, we have our honor to protect. You will respected the arrangement you entered into with Zev.”

“He has Nyko,” I spat. “I think he’ll be fine without me.”

“Watch your mouth Raja.” Azuka come toward me, but my father held him back.

“Nyko will have to find another. Zev can only have one beloved, and you were his first choice,” said my father. 

“I will never love that man.”

“You disrespectful little.” Azuka shoved our father off him and backed me into a corner. “You will not speak of Zev that way or any other man.”

“He replaced me, and you think I’d still love him.” I stood my ground and met my brother’s graze. “Now tell me where Tobias is.”

“So you can disappear with that devil. I’ve seen his eyes, Raja. That man is not a normal demon. He’s a monster.”

“I love him.”

Azuka slapped me hard across the cheek. 

I clasped my shining skin. I thought he would hit me.

“He is a cold hearted demon, and I will not let you leave with him. You are my brother, and I protect you, even from yourself.” He grabbed my wrist and dragged me into my old room. 

“Azuka let go, you’re hurting me.” I tried to pull away.

“Be quiet.” He tossed me onto a pile of blankets and grabbed a rope. “The elders will make their decision soon.” He grabbed my wrist and started to bind them together behind my back. “And then I will kill the devil and free you from whatever spell he has you under.” He flipped me over and his expression softened when he saw my tears. Pressing my head to his chest, he hugged me tightly. “This is for your own good, Raja. You belong here with us. This is your home, not with demon.”