Chapter 10

"Mr Everett and Catherine are engaged!" Elizabeth cried out loud as she burst open the doors of the library, where Georgiana and Mr Darcy were busy reading books.

Mr Darcy smiled widely and hugged Elizabeth before congratulating her.

Georgiana was struck shocked by Mrs Darcy's words. She could see it coming, then why did she feel so surprised?

"I congratulate you." Was her response. She got up and walked out of the library, feeling a little dizzy and tearful but she had learnt to control her emotions in front of others.

As she was walking away, she could not help but eavesdrop a few of Elizabeth's words to Mr Darcy, and those were; "now we shall plan on getting our beloved Georgiana married."

Georgiana felt blue as she walked towards her room. The hallway seemed so quiet to her as she passed it. The only sounds she could hear were her footsteps and the grand clock which was ticking so slowly, which each second passing. She stared at it. How slowly did the time seem to pass. She wanted the time to pass quickly, so that she could forget Mr Everett, so that she could never speak to him again and so that she would be happily settled with another man and no one would intrude in her life. Without realising, a glistening tear streamed down her rosy cheek and it fell on the ground. She stared at the tear, which fell down and touched the ground, with a burning sensation in her heart. She was angry, frustrated and sad. But that were not her only feelings. She even realised that she was in love with Mr Everett. She knew it from the beginning but was too afraid to accept it.

Quietly, she wiped her tears and rushed to her room where she cried for two whole hours, until Mrs Reynolds arrived at the door with a letter for her. She cleaned her tears and allowed her to come in.

"Miss Darcy, Mr Everett came just now and gave in this letter for you." Mrs Reynolds placed the letter on the table and left the room with a slight bow.

Georgiana leaped on the letter, tore the envelope and hurriedly read the letter with her eyes wide open. It's contents were;

Dear Georgiana Darcy
We have many things to talk about, and therefore, I shall come for tea to-morrow. Do wait for me.

Mr Everett

There was nothing much in that letter but after reading it, she felt weaker. She could not face him after realising her feelings for him and she could not even face Catherine Bennet, who was now engaged to Mr Everett.

Putting the letter on the table, she lied down on the bed and closed her eyes, trying hard not to think about the man she loved but she failed. He was the only one in her mind.