Chapter 18

The carriage was waiting outside of Pemberly for Georgiana, who was bidding her farewell to everyone inside the mansion. The day was bright and the birds chirped lively as Georgiana walked along the path with Mr and Mrs Darcy.

"What shall I bring for you all from Nottinghamshire?" She asked.

"Nothing, Georgie. Nottinghamshire is the same as Derbyshire. In fact, Derbyshire is much better." Mr Darcy smiled.

"I will not listen to you, brother. I will get as many gifts as I can for you both, and Mrs Reynolds. She has been a sweetheart for so many years."

"She is deserving." Elizabeth replied arduously. It was difficult for her to even walk now but she never liked to sit idle.

Mr Darcy wrapped his arm around Elizabeth for support as they reached the carriage. Mr Birch got out of it and greeted all of them with great civility.

"Miss Darcy, are you ready to take leave?" He grinned kindly and opened the door of the carriage for her.

She hugged her sister and her brother and entered the carriage, then waved at them. Mr Birch entered it too. He bid his adieu to the Darcys and slowly, the carriage started moving. Nottinghamshire was twenty two miles away from Derbyshire, a short distance it was but hardly anyone from Nottinghamshire came to Derbyshire.

The road was lone and silent. Rarely, did the people seem to pass by. But Georgiana mused herself over the blue sky and the soft clouds which seemed to float away as they moved further and further. Mr Birch would occasionally comment on how lovely the weather seemed and how it was good to travel in the current season.

She enjoyed the journey to her fullest but after a time of thirty minutes, she started feeling sick. She begged Mr Birch to stop the carriage and he was deeply worried about her. He looked around to find a place to stay and far away did he spot a small farmhouse. He instructed his driver to move the carriage into that direction and soon enough, they arrived at the abandoned farmhouse.

"I must go inside and freshen up myself." Georgiana bit her lip as she got off the carriage.

Mr Birch ensured her that he would wait for her and that if she needed any help, she could call him immediately. Thanking him, she walked into the farmhouse. It was an old dusty place, with no sign of life in it, other than the tiny insects which seemed to crawl everywhere on the floor.

She walked further into the house, investigating each and every room. She arrived in a room which she assumed to be the parlour and spotted a lovely painting on the wall. But there was something odd about the painting. It seemed new, whereas everything the house was old and worn out. A bottle rolled down on the floor which startled her and she wondered from which direction it had come from.

"Georgiana?" A voice came from behind her and she was frightened. It was a familiar voice. She knew the speaker of that voice and she could not believe it.

She turned around to prove her thoughts and she was correct. "Mr Everett."

It was Mr Everett, in the most pitiable state a person would be in. His coat was messy and his trousers were dirty, but his eyes had not lost their charm.

"What are you doing here?" Her trembling voice echoed throughout the room.

"Hiding myself and my feelings." He looked away.

"Why?"

He looked into her eyes and moved forward towards her. Georgiana instantly realised, by inhaling his scent, that he had been consuming gin and was slightly afraid of him, but he looked so sober, that she could not help but hold his arms and pull him even closer.

"You must allow me to show you something." He whispered gently. "Follow me." Moving past her, he gestured her to come and led her inside the parlour to the dark, mysterious room. He lit a candle which was placed on a dusty table.

Georgiana's eyes widened when the light spread throughout the room. It was a long narrow hall but on each sides, there were numerous of paintings. All those paintings featured one woman. She went to take a closer to look at one of the pictures, and her jaw dropped. She covered her mouth with her hands before gasping loudly.

It was her in each and every painting. Those glimmering eyes, the lustrous hair, the rosy cheeks and the perfectly moulded jawline. A fear developed inside of her. A fear of looking or speaking to Augustin Everett. His obsession with her was clearly visible on every painting. She walked around, trying to make out if she was mistaken, but no. It actually was her in all the pictures.

"I am sorry." He whispered. "I am terribly sorry." He dropped on his knees and covered his face with both of his hands.

She turned around to look at him. Her legs trembled because she was frightened of him but she could not remain idle and watch him apologise again and again. It hurt her to see the one she loved in such a state.

"Mr Everett." She spoke confidently, walking towards him and bending down to remove his hands from his face.

"Georgiana, you must know that I have suffered. I have suffered way too much. Jealousy had taken place inside of me when you got engaged to Mr Birch. He is a great man, I understand, but did you ever realise that I loved you? Did not my actions, the way I talked to you, the way we played around, indicate that I was mad for you? Yes, I loved you ever since I saw you. First, I admired your beauty. Later, I idolised you in every way. Catherine Bennet had never interested me. But, as being a gentleman, I had to accept her proposal. She was about to weep when she proposed me, in fear of being refused, and I did not want to hurt her, because then I would be called a beast. However, I think I did the right thing, just few days ago, by breaking off my engagement with her. Why? Because I do not care anymore. If people want to call me a beast, they are allowed to. If people want to punish me, disrespect me, then they should do so. They can do anything but they cannot change the fact that I love you so madly. I will die, Georgiana. I will die if I see you get married to Mr Birch. I have retreated to this abandoned house, to hide myself from everyone. They shall all forget me when I die. I know, you will not break off your engagement with Mr Birch because you love him, and that is why I am prepared to die. These paintings will remain, but no one will know who created them, who painted them. I want the world to see and admire your beauty. That is my last wish."

Georgiana could not handle his words. Tears streamed down her eyes and they were impossible to hold back. Her sobs were violent and she could feel her whole body shivering. "You shall not die." She said between her sobs. "I beg you, do not die."

"My beloved Georgiana." He held her face between both of his delicate, pale hands. "I shall die. There is nothing to see in this world anymore. I have already seen an angel. What more is left to see?"