Hustle

As I pulled up to my boyfriend's house, I could hear the faint sounds of a basketball hitting the concrete and smiled to myself. That boy is always practicing. I closed the car door quietly so he wouldn't hear and made my way toward the back of the Scott house.

When I reached the basketball court behind the house, I leaned against a brick wall and watched my boyfriend of a few months shoot free throw after free throw. After he had made several in a row I spoke up.

"Be careful. You might make me think you could actually beat me if you keep that up."

He turned around, that cute half-smile on his face, and tucked the basketball under his arm. "Good morning to you, too," he replied, a hint of sarcasm evident in his voice.

I flashed him my best smile. "Good morning, Nathan. Can I ask you a question?"

"I think you just did."

I rolled my eyes and pushed myself off the wall I was leaning against. "Have you ever been beaten by a girl?" I sauntered toward him and ran one hand from his shoulder down his arm to his hand.

He raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "No, and I don't plan on starting today. Do you even know how to play basketball?"

His question made me realize we had never had this conversation before, strangely enough.

I think I'll use this to my advantage.

"Well, it can't be that hard," I replied. "All you have to do is put this orange thing," I took the ball from under his arm, "through that orange thing." I pointed at the regulation hoop, and his gaze followed my hand. "Pretty simple if you ask me."

Nathan's lips formed into his signature sexy smirk, and I knew I had him. "Alright, I'll play along. What do I get when I win?"

"When you win? Oh no, hun. Winner always gets bragging rights, of course. But if you win, I guess you'll be able to choose your prize. But I have to approve it, obviously."

"Well obviously." He walked to the top of the key and motioned for me to come stand next to him. I walked over without dribbling the ball, trying to make him think I had no idea what I was doing. His smirk got bigger and I patted myself on the back. He has no idea what's coming, and it's giving me excited butterflies in my stomach.

Once I was standing just outside the three-point line, Nathan backed up to the free throw line, giving me some space. "Alright, first one to get to ten points wins. All you have to do is put that orange thing," he pointed at the ball in my hands, "through that orange thing," he thumbed at the hoop behind him. "And since it's that easy, this should be a piece of cake for you, right?"

I dribbled the ball twice, spun it in my hands, and took the first shot. Nathan's gaze followed the ball as it arched over his head, bounced against the backboard, and fell through the net. When his eyes turned back to me, a triumphant smile was obvious on my lips.

"Yeah. Piece of cake," I said. "So, I believe that was three points?"

Nathan caught on to what had happened and left his spot at the free throw line to approach me. When he reached the place where I was standing, he began to circle around me so I couldn't see him. But I didn't give him the satisfaction of turning to look at him, so I continued to stare at the basketball that was still bouncing underneath the hoop.

"I'm sorry, but I just need to clear this up," I heard him say, and I felt him place his hands on my shoulders. "Did my girlfriend just hustle me?" His lips were dangerously close to my ear and I had to take a deep breath to keep my cool.

"Maybe she did. But if you hadn't underestimated her, then you wouldn't have gotten hustled, now would you?"

He released my shoulders and jogged past me to pick up the basketball. "Good point well made," he conceded, bringing the ball back to where I stood. "Basket counts, 3-0. Your ball." He passed the ball to me and moved closer so he was actually guarding me this time.

"That's more like it," I mock-praised him. I dribbled to my right, but Nathan's body moved with me, forcing me left. I did a spin move to change direction, but before I could get all the way around, Nathan had speared through and stolen the ball, taking it back to the top.

"You thought I was gonna go easy on you after all that?" he teased me. "No way."

I shrugged and took my position to guard him. "Then I guess it's game on."

Of course, I knew that I couldn't beat Nathan at his own game. It didn't take long for him to reach ten, but not without me getting a few good shots in as well. I also knew that he couldn't just win the game like a normal person, so on his last basket he spin-dribbled past me, took the ball down the middle of the paint and jumped, dunking the ball through the hoop to reach his ten points. When he let go of the rim and his feet hit the pavement, I couldn't even pretend to be upset about losing the game. I smiled and walked over to him, holding my hand up. He high-fived me and then wrapped me in a hug before pulling away.

"Sorry, I'm a little sweaty," he apologized.

I pulled him back in for another hug and said, "I am too, so I think it cancels out, right?"

He chuckled before pulling away again. "Yeah, I think that's how that works."

I pulled him down next to me as I sat down on the driveway, trying to catch my breath. "So, I guess you have bragging rights. Although it won't be for long because you know I'm going to demand a rematch soon," I challenged, elbowing him in the ribs. "Have you decided what your prize should be?"

He cocked his head to the side, the wheels in his head turning. "Yeah, I think so."

"Well, are you going to tell me what it is?"

He smirked a little. "What's the fun in that?"

I rolled my eyes and scooted in closer to him. "Is there any way I could convince you to tell me?"

He threw is arm over my shoulders and looked down at me. "Considering how well you just hustled me during that game, I'm sure your conniving little mind can think of something."

I leaned in and covered the small distance between us, placing my lips on his. As soon as our lips connected, something that felt like a small spark of static electricity moved down my spine to the pit of my stomach, and I smiled into the kiss. His mouth moved with mine, and I placed one hand behind his head, brushing through the short hair at the nape of his neck.

When we finally detached ourselves due to lack of oxygen, Nathan pulled away and said, "Well I guess you just awarded me my prize for winning."

I smiled up at him and replied, "Don't say I never gave you anything."

--------------------------------------

A/N: Hey all of my Nathan fans! I hope you enjoyed this little one shot I imagined up. Thought it would be fun to share it with you all. Please comment if you liked it or if you would like me to write another one. Since I'm only halfway through season 3 of OTH right now, I would appreciate if you didn't post any spoilers from future seasons, BUT if anyone has any cute ideas for possible Nathan one shots, please comment them or message me! I would love to keep writing them if there is any interest out there for me to continue. :)