Dark Blue

"Do you have an aux cord in this thing?" I asked Nathan as he drove us to some undisclosed location.

"Yeah, check the glove box," he said, pulling off the highway we were currently on and driving down a small, more rural road.

"Aha! Got it," I announced triumphantly, plugging one end into the stereo and the other into my phone.

"Hey, let me see it. I heard a great song the other day that I think you'll like." He put his hand out, but I pushed it away.

"Nathan, you're driving. I'll look it up, what's the title?"

The hand I had pushed away returned and his fingers intertwined with mine. "'World Spins Madly On' by The Weepies. Not normally the type of music I listen to, but I like this one. Plus, it's perfect for driving on a beautiful night like this."

I found the song and hit play, and the soft guitar began to play through the speakers of Nathan's car. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the music, squeezing Nathan's hand in mine as we drove through the night.

As the song came to an end, Nathan pulled the car into a small clearing, putting it in park and shutting the headlights off. We both got out of the vehicle, and Nathan ran around the front of the car to take my hand, leading me into the middle of a field of grass that was dotted with wildflowers.

"Nathan, this place is amazing! How did you know about it?" I asked, incredulous.

"My mom took me out here once, when I was upset about an important basketball game. We drove out here, and we sat down right about... here," he came to a halt, and we both sat in the cool grass. "She told me to look up at the stars, and to try to count them. Of course, I couldn't. She told me that one basketball game wasn't going to keep the stars from shining, just like it wouldn't stop me, either. As I looked up at the stars that night, I felt so small... But I also felt like I could do anything I wanted to do." He looked at me and smiled. "I mean, if the stars shine even when we can't see them, then I should be able to do something as simple as bounce back from a bad game."

I leaned in and pecked his lips, and we laid back together, gazing up at the stars.

"Have you ever been alone in a crowded room?" I asked Nathan, tilting my chin to look at him. He nodded, scrunching his eyebrows in confusion. I continued, "I would guess that's the type of feeling you got when you lost that game. I bet you thought it was your fault, and that if you would have just played better, you might have won. And what's even worse is you probably thought your teammates blamed you for the loss."

He chuckled. "Is this supposed to be helpful? Because if it is, you're airballing it."

I rolled my eyes and began tracing designs on the palm of his hand. "It's a song lyric. What I'm saying is that the stars probably feel the same way. They always shine, and they do their absolute best to shine as bright as they can. But the sun comes up every morning and blinds us to the light we know they're always emitting. And although the sun blinds us to their beauty, it doesn't change how amazingly beautiful they are."

Nathan turned his head so we were eye to eye. "None of them hold a candle to you," he murmured, brushing my cheek with his free hand.

"You're so cheesy, Nathan Scott," I laughed, sliding closer to his side.

"You know you love it! Seriously though, thank you. You might even give better advice than my mom."

I shrugged, brushing imaginary dust off my shoulders. "I do what I can. You know."

"Yeah, I know," he chuckled, kissing me softly and sweetly, rolling onto his side so he was above me, supporting himself on his elbow. His free hand snaked around my back, pulling me into him. One of my hands rested on his cheek, my fingertips brushing his cheekbones while my other hand traveled to the back of his head, pulling him closer to me and deepening the kiss.

"Tonight is the perfect shade of dark blue," I commented, glancing at the stars and noticing that their glow was comparable to the sparkle in Nathan's eyes.

"Another song lyric?" he asked, leaning back to look at me.

"Of course. Music is basically my first language," I quipped, twining my legs with his.

"Well, when I'm with you, the world could be burning down. Until there's nothing but dark blue," Nathan spoke softly.

My head snapped up to look at him. "You knew the lyrics to that song this whole time?! Nathan Scott, I don't know whether to be annoyed or impressed!"

He laughed. "I guess both would be okay. But impressed would be preferable," he suggested, planting a sweet and passionate kiss onto my lips.

"You're lucky you're cute," I replied. "Alright, impressed it is. Thanks for bringing me out here with you. The stars are so clear and bright without the lights of the city. It's a beautiful night."

"Yeah," Nathan agreed, but his gaze wasn't fixed on the sky. "It really is."

-----------------------------------------

A/N: In case anyone was wondering, the two songs mentioned in this are "World Spins Madly On" by The Weepies, and "Dark Blue" by Jack's Mannequin. They were both played during episodes of One Tree Hill, and they're both great songs. Don't forget to vote if you liked this! Thanks. :)