Shower of Champions

*Disclaimer: Sexual Content*

Time was winding down on the clock as the Ravens struggled to regain their lead. The boys were getting tired, and Nathan and Lucas weren't gelling like they normally do.

I could hear Mouth from where I was standing with the cheerleaders. "Well, ladies and gentlemen, it all comes down to this. There is one minute left in the championship game and our Tree Hill Ravens need a basket to tie, and three points to win the game. Let's hope that our star shooting guards Nathan and Lucas Scott are able to get their game back for the final sixty seconds."

I stood among my three best friends, Haley, Peyton, and Brooke, leading the crowded gym in a spirit cheer for the Ravens. I love cheerleading, and I have my whole life. I've been a part of this squad since I was a freshman at Tree Hill High, and the girls have become my family.

Oh, and did I mention that my boyfriend is the star shooting guard?

I smiled as I watched him in the huddle. I couldn't hear everything, but I watched Nathan's face change when Whitey started talking, no doubt saying something about how it was his last shot at a state championship and this team is the one that can get him one. The fire had returned to his eyes, and he was determined to win.

"Uh-oh, did you see that look in Nathan's eyes? The other team had better watch their backs," Brooke commented, nudging me.

"I'm just so nervous for Nathan. He and Whitey both want this so badly, and if they lose, he'll be crushed. It's important to him."

The other team had possession of the ball. Their point guard brought the ball slowly up the court, trying to run the clock down. They passed the ball around for a while, giving our boys less of a chance to score. The cheerleaders led a defense cheer, but I was focused on the court while I was cheering.

"Back pocket, Nathan!" I yelled, but he had already seen the opportunity and speared through his opponent's dribble, stealing the ball and taking it down the court. But his man caught up to him and blocked him from taking the ball into the paint, so he kicked it back out to Skills, making a hard cut inside with ten seconds left on the clock.

"It's now or never, folks," I heard Mouth say. "The Ravens need to make a move."

Skills passed it to Nathan in the paint, but he was double-teamed on the basket side. He went up, and I gasped along with the rest of the crowd as he took a shot. But it wasn't a shot... At the last second, he lobbed the ball outside the three-point line to Lucas, who was standing open. Lucas took the shot just as the buzzer sounded, and the gym went completely silent as everyone watched the ball in seemingly slow motion. My stomach muscles were clenched with nerves, and I stopped breathing.

As the ball fell through the net, the crowd erupted into cheers, and the cheerleaders were a bundle of yelling and jumping and pom-poms everywhere. Lucas dropped to his knees, the team swarming him and Nathan, passing the trophy to them in the center. The look on Nathan's face was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I'd never seen him look so happy, so complete. My only regret was that I wasn't the thing that gave him that look. Nevertheless, I was so extremely happy for him and I wanted him to enjoy his victory, because he'd worked his whole life for this. He deserved an uninterrupted moment in the spotlight.

The crowd was finally able to rush the floor, and a mob of students as well as the cheerleaders filled the court, causing me to lose sight of Nathan. I found Skills and Lucas, giving them hugs and telling them congratulations on their big win.

"I think you deserve a congrats too," Lucas added. "I mean, you were successful in cheering us on to victory. I think you gave us the edge we needed to win."