Chapter Twenty-Six - "A Section Of The Bigger Picture"

Kayla

I saw the signs. I’d have been a fool not to. And yet, it wasn’t until they were plain as day that I actually started to acknowledge them.

I wouldn’t deny that Chloe had a certain attractiveness to her, but I couldn’t really help my bruised ego.

Fitch had never really bothered hanging out at Daisey’s, but for some reason, since her arrival, there was never a time when she was there that he wasn’t.

After my run-in on their almost-kiss or whatever it was, on the night of the Worthington party, I decided not to read too much into it, but the more I tried to ignore it, the more obvious it became.

Fitch was falling in love. And it wasn’t with me.

It was the night after our Worthington job, and we were all still pretty tired. We’d had to stay till about 1 a.m. cleaning up. I was used to going to parties that ran till 5 a.m., but at least then I was having fun, or completely wasted, preventing any recollection.

We were all kind of lounging around silently.  Trey was downing Fruit Loops from the box; Ricky was nowhere to be seen – at least now, we all kind of had an idea of where he might be. Chloe was sitting on the window seat staring out into the sunset or just the pigeons on the roof over, and from his spot on the couch, Fitch’s eyes were glued to her.

I looked away, rolling my eyes. Trey gave me an amused look and went over to sit by Chloe. He seemed to be simply ecstatic about the thing between Chloe and Fitch – whatever it was – and at first, it seemed to be about me. You know, I’m in love with Fitch, Trey’s in love with me, and Fitch’s in love with Chloe; ultimately one would assume that I’d eventually turn to Trey. But now, it seemed to be less about me, and more about his growing friendship with Chloe, and hence, hope for her happiness. The whole thing made me really bitter.

Ricky walked in right then. I hadn’t seen him since the big reveal, and I really didn’t know what to say to him; I mean, the whole thing could only end in disaster.

“Hey guys,” he said, shutting the door behind him, “What’s up?”

I don’t think any of us could really be bothered to respond, as we all kind of took note of his arrival and returned to our previous doings.

“Fine,” he muttered, walking over to the kitchen and pulling open the fridge.

“There’s no food; we ordered takeout,” I said to him, placing my head on the island, facedown.

I felt him pull up a chair and sit next to me, “Are you okay?” he asked.

I looked up at him with a frown as I straightened up, “I get you not telling anyone else, but me?” I said, referring to his relationship with Alexandra Worthington.

He sighed, “Don’t you remember how you treated her last night? If anything, you were the one person I was never going to tell.”

 I was taken aback, “I’d have been nicer if I knew who she was.”

He sighed, “Well, it’s too late now.”

I stared at him for a second, “How did it even happen?” I had never really taken account of Ricky’s relationship status, as he always seemed to be happy-go-lucky. Or maybe I was just too wrapped up in my own agenda.

“We met six months ago, and we just kind of . . . started,” he said.

“Six months!” I exclaimed. “What were you going to do; hide her forever?”