Chapter Twenty-Eight - "Reaction And Reminiscence"

Chloe

July 2005

“Chloe! Breakfast!” Annie called from downstairs.

I pulled my rucksack off its hook and ran downstairs. I was especially excited that day because I’d gotten invited to Veronica Harrington’s birthday; she’d only invited fifteen friends, and I couldn’t contain my joy at being one of those fifteen. She was having a Princess-themed party as well, which meant she’d probably gotten the idea from my tenth birthday party the month before, and that was the cherry on top.

I hopped onto the chair next to Harold as Annie placed my chocolate chip pancakes in front of me. I dug in and started to stuff the pancakes down my throat as fast as I could. I absolutely couldn’t wait to tell my best friend, Margie, about my dress.

“Hey! Where’s the fire?” Harold asked, holding my hand down as I tried to stuff my already full mouth with another piece.

I started to speak, but Annie held up her hand, “Swallow.”

As I washed it down with a gulp of orange juice, I began, “I promised Margie I’d show her my dress before homeroom.”

“Tell me it isn’t in your bag, missy,” Annie said with a firm look.

I cringed, “It might be.”

“Chloe! Don’t you want it to be a surprise? What if Margie loves it so much that she goes to get the exact same one after school?”

I frowned, “She wouldn’t,” and turned to Harold, “Would she?”

He chuckled, “Probably not, but you don’t want to take that chance, do you?”

I sighed, “I guess not.”

“Come on, eat up,” Annie said, smoothing my hair, as she pulled the halter-necked dress out of my bag.

“Hey,” Harold whispered, “you want to ditch school today and come to New York with your mom and me?”

“Harold,” Annie called in a warning tone.

I giggled, “And miss the party? No way.”

He flicked my nose, “That’s what I thought.”

I heard the horn signaling the arrival of the school bus and I hopped out of my chair, grabbing my bag and hurrying off to the door.

“Hey!” Annie called, “No goodbyes?”

I slowed down and turned around, “Sorry.”

She crouched down to my level, smoothing my outfit with her hands, “So, Margie’s mom is going to come get you today, and you’re going to spend the night at theirs, okay? But, we’ll be back in time to get you from school tomorrow at two.”

Harold joined her in a crouched position and said, “Then, you can tell us all about the dreadful party.”

I laughed, “It won’t be dreadful!”

“Yeah, maybe not, but it definitely won’t be as good as yours,” he said grinning.

“Definitely not,” I agreed.

“Okay, time to go,” Annie said. They both leaned forward and gave me a kiss each on either of my face, making me giggle.

“Bye mom! Bye dad!” I called as I ran out to the bus without a care in the world.