chapter nineteen

"What the fuck?!" Train shouted.

Charmaine quickly pointed the gun at Train.

Train looked at his brother Tamel laying on the floor then back to the barrel of the gun pointed at him. "So I guess you're going to finish the job. Well come on, Death been trying to get at me for the longest."

"I don't want to shoot you, Train," Charmaine stated. "But I will if I have to. You saved me more times than I can count but I need you to understand something."

"You got the gun," Train jested. "You can tell me to listen to an Elton John record in my underwear eating a pork and cheese sandwich. You got the gun, you got the floor."

"I didn't want it to come to this," Charmaine confided. "But I know you are the only person I can trust. Drama isn't about shit. I know he's your brother but he is only going to get you killed."

"I don't think you get the picture," Train declared. "He is the brain behind this whole thing. I'm just muscle. He is the reason why we still here and not already dead in a ditch."

Charmaine shook her head. "No, he's not. He's alive because of me. The same way you are. He basically said it himself. Y'all needed me to make this right and we still can. We still can do this without him.

Train was confused. "I don't know what you are talking about. You've been drinking the Kool-Aid?"

"Don't you get it?" Charmaine reasoned. "This whole thing has been about me and I've been too stupid to realize what is going on. The same lady that set this all up, the same man that tried to keep his family a secret, the same two people that are responsible for all this mess are still trying to get one thing: me. We can end this."

Train sighed. "Listen, I know crack is a hell of a drug but what you've been smoking must have came from some white boy's lab. You're making no sense and you just killed my only family. I'm not having a conversation with you. Just put a bullet in me like you did him and let me and him tell the Devil to kiss our ass at the same time. I would hate to miss all the fun because he had a head start."

"I don't want to kill you, Train," Charmaine reiterated, "I need your help to make this work."

"I'm afraid you got no choice, little lady," Train insisted. "Me and him are a package deal. We was joined at the hip since the first day I saved his ass in Juvie and will always be. We're brothers. Despite my father being an asshole and my mother being a lunatic, their actions gave me something that I would have never had, that was someone I can depend on. So just pull the trigger so we can end this masquerade."

Another tear dropped down Charmaine's eye. She was so sure Train would get on board with her and her plan. She knew it came all of a sudden but hearing Tamel's taunts made a plan form in her head that she was sure was going to work. But it wouldn't work with Tamel. Tamel had to die.

"Please, don't do this," Charmaine whined. 'You don't owe him anything anymore. I know you feel like it is still your fault he was like this. Your mother having his mother killed was the start of his path down the dark side but he may have ended up like that anyway. Look at him. Look how ruthless he was. You can't tell me that one act made him that menacing that fast. You grew up way worse than him and you don't have those tendencies."

"You don't know me," Train growled. "You don't know shit about me or what I've been through or what he has been through. You think it's easy knowing that my own mother was so jealous that our piece of shit father chose his mother over mines that she arranged to have her killed. You don't know what demons my brother had coming in that place. You don't know what it was like knowing that the only reason why he was even there was because I didn't have the courage to smack my mother across the face and tell her to leave that piece of shit nigga alone. Tamel wasn't born a monster. Her actions made him that way and I have to be the one to make it right."