Chapter IV

Sophia was a pretty girl, long brown hair, stylishly bleached in the ends, tan skin and plump lips, currently wearing shorts that showed of her long legs. She ran to hug John as he walked out of the military base. Then she greeted all his litter mates, even got some phone numbers from the girls who didn't live that far away. Heath passed by, walking straight to his car. They stared at each other, him and John, for a good while until Sophia was done making friends. Heath lit up a cigarette and leaned on his jeep, waiting for the air conditioning to cool down the leather seats, who had gotten scorching hot in the direct sun.

"Who is that?" She asked, shadowing her eyes from the sun-

John's eyes shifted to the ground, then to his girlfriend.

"Nobody. He's my room mate." He put his arm around Sophia and started walking to the car, but she twisted out of his grip.

"Well, we have to say hi!"

Reluctantly he followed her, watching as she introduced herself, as they small talked. Heath was talking to her but his eyes were on John.

"Hey, John and I was planning on going to an outdoors party tonight, if you want to join?"

John sent him a warning look.

"If you plot in your number on my phone I'll text you the address, then you can choose later," she smiled.

Heath exhaled, still staring at John and the latter couldn't understand how Sophia couldn't notice the tension.

"John has it," Heath told her, flicking away the cigarette. He entered the car. 

"Maybe we'll  see you tonight then?" 

Heath nodded to her, then he closed the door and spun out of the parking lot.

"You shouldn't have done that," John muttered as they walked back to their car.

"Why not?" she asked lightly, concentrating on stepping in the same tact as him.

"Is it wrong wanting to bond with the few friends you make? Though he was kinda weird."

"He's my room mate, not my friend."

"Then don't invite him," she shrugged.

"Now let's go, I'm dying to get ice cream."

John was drinking way too much. When a dark green jeep swung into the parking lot just by the lake the party was held, he downed yet another beer. John still stood by the refreshments when Heath walked up, after giving friendly nods to people he didn't know. As he reached for the German beer closest to John, the latter pulled away, as if Heath's hands would burn him by a foots range.

Heath rolled his eyes.

"You invited me," he informed, opening the beer by slamming it into the table edge, though there were churchkeys scattered all over.

"It was for Sophia. You didn't have to come."

Heath scoffed and mumbled something barely audible, but audible still, under his breath. Then knuckles hit his face and he staggered backwards, covering his nose. Before taking off in the opposite direction of the crowd he shook his head, sending John a look worth a thousand words.

Heath sat on a fallen three, staring out over the lake when John approached, offering a beer.

"You owe me. Spilled out half mine with that sucker punch."

John sat down, sipping his own bottle.

Heath watched him, licking his lips, looking into the ground, looking out over the lake.

"I shouldn't have hit you," John uttered.

"That your version of an apology?"

John met his eyes but didn't smile back.

"It's alright. I shouldn't have come," Heath sighed, and stood up.

"Anyways, if you ever need anything, a smoke, training tips, a drinking buddy..."

John glanced up at him.

"But it's your serve."

---

not gonna lie, I'm probably the one who's the most exited of anyone reading. anyways hope everybody likes it? Don't forget to leave comments and a vote, if you want!

-ITES