Chapter V

John slammed the car door shut as hard as he could and managed to give it a kick before Sophia spun out of the lay-by. He yelled after her as she disappeared down the highway, the way they had just driven. Then he kicked a tree as well.

They had fought over nothing. Or, more accurate, they had fought over everything. He was an hour drive from the base, and it was darkening quickly. He threw his bag on the ground, and dropped down on it. Fishing up his phone, hesitating before he dialed a number he had saved so very long ago.

Half an hour later a military green jeep severed into the lot, its massive wheels making gravel rain over John's legs.

When Heath realised John wasn't getting in, he exited the vehicle and walked over to the side, so he could see the man. Heath leaned against the car.

"Get up buddy. If we don't get back soon the lieutenant will make us do push ups until we faint."

John raised. There were maybe four yards between them. Three, two, one, a half.

They both knew what that call meant, though Heath was still half expecting a punch, and John still had time to change his mind. Heath knew that if he moved in now, John wouldn't pull away. But he was done always being the one to jump first.

Silently get into the car, no harm done. It was still possible to walk away.

But sometimes the only thing standing between you and what you want is fear.

John cupped Heath's face, rough scruff under his palm, blue eyes following him, waiting.

He moved in, their lips brushing against each other. John's heart throbbed with fright all the way out in his fingertips, he was almost certain Heath could feel his beats against his cheek. He moved in again- more than a sweep but less than a kiss. Heath's hands moved up stealthily, resting on each side of John's neck, and when Heath was kissed again, he now responded. Hungrily, rowdily, they ground against each other vigorously, hands everywhere, grabbing, scratching, touching.

The ride back to base was quiet. They didn't play any music, didn't chitchat, simply sat there, enjoying one another's company. They smoked a shared cigarette before leaving the parking lot, sending it across the roof of the car. Unspoken words floated between them, blue eyes asked what this meant, what would happen now. Green eyes darted to the ground instead, not having any answers. But when they started walking, side by side, with their bags on the outer shoulders so that the only thing separating them was themselves, John's fingertips nipped Heath's, and lingered there long enough to say 'don't worry.'

-