Run

I sit on a bench inside a circular shack made of mostly think sticks, string, and mud. It's sturdy enough to be a good shelter. Benches circle around the center like an auditorium, making the center seem like a stage.

I was given an apple and some water before they, the two boys who talked to me at the box, brought me to what they called the gathering hall. I learned that the dark boy is named Alby, and the one with the accent is called Newt. When they introduced themselves I simply shook their hands and nodded because I had no name to give them in return, which hurt more than I let on. 

My nerves had calmed down slightly since then. Slightly. My breathing was stable but my mind was racing. Trying to ignore all the questions going on in my head brought even more stress. I had asked Alby a few of them like "Why was I in a box?" "What's with the walls?" and "Why have I only seen boys so far?" to which he replied by saying that he would answer my questions later. That didn't help me.

Now inside the gathering hall, I wait for a meeting to start so that Alby can introduce me to everyone. Since I still don't remember my name, I don't know how well that will work out. Another thing that makes no sense is that everyone is acting like everything is fine about being surrounded by thick stone walls and living in shacks and having no adults around. Everyone is a teenager, male teenagers!

'How is no one panicking?' I think, another question I have to deal with. 'It's like everyone thinks this is normal, to live in a square, with no adults, and only boys.'

I gasp suddenly.

'I am the only freak'in girl here!' I realize. 'They're going to do unholy things to me because of hormones and lack of authority. I'm doomed! That's it. I need to leave. Now!'

Newt and the boy who grabbed me in the box are talking in the center of the room. Since I'm by the door, it'll be easy if I make a run for it without being noticed by them. Even though I won't get passed the walls, at least I can hide from them. I slowly stand up, watching the two boys to make sure they don't notice me. Then I run for the door.

However, just as I'm about to dash through the exit, the door opens and a boy marches in. I don't have time to stop and we collide, me falling to the floor. It was like running into a brick wall.

Lying on my back, I let out an achy moan.

'Fail,' I think.

"It is true!" is all the boy says as he offers me his hand. I accept it and he pulls me up.

I stand and brush myself off, feeling the ache in my back from the fall.

"Sorry sweetheart. Gosh, the first girl of the glade and I make her fall for me already. Just my luck," he says with a smile, scratching the back of his neck.

I look up at him. He's pale and asian with his hair swift up in the front. He's also sweaty, making his skin shimmer a bit. His form is tall, for an asian, and built like an athlete. With all these features, I assume he's a little bit older than me.

Newt walks over to us.

"Bloody hell, Minho. Knocking her over isn't going to make a good first impression. She's already scared as it is," He says, gesturing one of his hands towards me.

'They're worried about first impressions?' I think. 'We're trapped in a freak'in cage!'

"Relax Newt," the boy who was talking to him says from behind us, "She can take care of herself, trust me."

He rubs one of his arms and I see scratches and marks covering it. I suppose those cuts were from me when I clawed at his arms while he held me in the air. I don't feel guilty though.

I remember what the asian boy, Minho, had said, "the first girl of the glade." Meaning my assumption of me being the only girl is correct. I really do need to run and hide.

"Just say you're sorry," Newt says to Minho while folding his arms in front of his chest.

Minho sighs.

"I'm sor-" he begins to say but it's too late. I dart out the door and run as fast as I can, putting as much distance between me and them as possible.

"Wait, stop!" I hear Newt yell from the gathering hall.

'Yeah right. Not!' I think as a run for my life.

I look ahead and see the forest. It's a perfect hiding place. But I hear footsteps behind me. I turn my head around to see Minho chasing me and getting closer by the second. I look forward again and take a deep breath. Then with all my might I quicken my pace. The wind blows through my (h/c) hair and I feel like I'm flying.

That's when I feel a pair of hands grab my hips. I go from flying to falling in less than two seconds and land flat on my stomach.

"Hmph," I moan and notice that I've been tangled. Minho's on top of me with his arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

His head is close to my neck and I hear him whisper, "Maybe next time, sweetheart."