Maze

"Geez! You could've just told me to stop," I exclaim as I sit up and feel the ache in my back from the fall. My back's been through a lot lately.

I rub the back of my neck and wince.

Newt dashes over to my side and kneels next to me, placing a caring hand on my back.

"Y/N, are you alright?" Newt asks.

"I-I think so," I answer, sqeezing my temples and shutting my eyes. Something didn't feel right and it wasn't the pain in my back. What just happened? I noticed a gap in between the walls, ran to it, got pulled back and slammed into the earth (I'm sure that I'm covered in dirt and grass right now), and then Alby tells me not to leave the Glade.

'Wait,' I think, 'were his words 'don't leave the Glade' or 'no one enters the maze'?'

Maze?

"What did you say?" I ask, looking up at Alby, still towering over me. It's as if he's standing like the walls themselves, daring someone to try and climb them. His hands on his hips and chest puffed out make him seem intimidating.

Newt lowers his head as he exhales, warning, "Y/N..."

"No, what did you say, Alby?!" I demand, rising to my feet. Alby's eyes widen.

"You remembered your name?" he asks. Both Newt and I nod.

"Greenie, this isn't going to be easy..." Alby trails off, lowering his head and folding his arms in front of his chest, no longer looking intimidating but sympathetic.

"She's not ready, Alby," Newt interjects, "Don't tell her yet." He stands too, still at my side.

"Tell me what? I'm a Glader now; I have the right to know what's out there!" I declare. By now, I have had enough of this secrecy.

'Why must I always fight to know about things?!' I think.

Alby takes a deep breath before letting it out again, shaking his head. Whatever he's about to tell me, he's hating doing it. Maybe I don't want to know what's out there.

"Out there is a maze that leads to a way out of the Glade," Alby says, putting a hand on my shoulder. "But only the runners are allowed to go into the Maze because of how dangerous it is out there."

"Remember the screeches from last night?" Newt asks. Of course I do. How could I not? They were so terrifying yet alluring at the same time. However, I could have just been drunk off Gally's drink to think they were alluring and not just frightful.

I nod.

"That noise is made by a moster of a machine we call Grievers. They come out at night when the doors close. That's only ONE of the reasons the Maze is dangerous," he explains.

My brows furrow.

"Doors? What doors?" I question.

"The ones that shut last night while you were gagging on Gally's drink," Alby answers.

I have so many more questions now then I had yesterday. I peer down at my barefeet as I contemplate what the boys have just told me, the same boys that had to tell me about the Glade before. I can't have a breakdown again, that would not help with keeping my reputation, but my mind is swimming with unexplained information. It's screaming for answers.

My face must have gone pale because Newt asks me, "Y/N, are you alright? You look bloody awful."

I swallow.

'Why the heck am I even here? First a 'glade' now a maze!' I think, rubbing my temples again because of the stress.

"I have a lot of questions," I say, breathing heavily. I look up at Alby and he nodds. "But I'd like to sit on this for awhile." I turn to Newt.

Newt nodds as well and says, "I know just the spot." After that, he takes my hand and leads me away from Alby. I wave good-bye and he does the same with a sympathetic smile.

Alby can't be more than two years older than me, and yet, he has to take the role of a commander, untrained. He must be tired, stressed, and a little scared having the whole world (in our case, the whole Glade) looking up to him for guidance. I'm grateful for how he has treated me so kindly in the circumstances we're in.

As Newt pulls me away, I notice how callous his hands are...and shaky?

"Are you alright, Newt?" I ask, taking my hand out of his grip. He stops in his path and turns to me. I observe that his face has also gone pale.

"It's nothing," he mumbles, "It's just hard to think of the Grievers." He begins to wring his hands nervously, looking at the ground.

Curiosity gets the better of me.

"Why?" I ask like a child, gazing up at him with my big (Y/E/C) eyes. I'm probably being as rude as Gally right now.

Newt shrugs.

"Another story for another time," he answers. I pout, sticking out my bottom lip. "But for now let's get you a place to rest before we start our tour."

'A tour?' I think. 'He's taking me on a tour? How exciting! Why can't we go now?'

But then I remember the gap between the walls. And the Maze. And my aching back and throbbing head. And how trully tired I am from last night's horror film. Maybe a rest won't be so bad.

I talk through a yawn, "Al...right, but you'll have to tell me how you got your limp some time." I point to his leg.

He doesn't reply, only turns around and continues walking again.

'Must be a touchy subject,' I think.

Near the Homestead, we come to a large tree in which has been built a tree fort in the form of a watch tower. It's a perfect place to rest and clear my mind.

When we get to the base of the fort, I notice how planks of wood have been nailed into the side of the tree so as to make a ladder. I'm so exhausted that even the thought of climbing up makes me yawn. Even so, I place my hands on the first plank and prepare to climb when Newt places a gentle hand on my shoulder.

Turning to face him, he says, "Green-uh- Y/N, I'm sorry for everything that's happening to you. I know this is really hard for you to understand things and you must be terrified...but just know that you'll have me by your side if you need any help."

I look into his chocolate eyes in awe. He's so concerned and protective of me. From the way he tries to understand my situation to how he places a delicate hand on my back, displays boldly of his kindness. Because of this, I know I can trust him. Maybe I've finally found a friend here.

Feeling a boost of courage, I wrap my arms around his waist, my face pressed against his chest in a tight hug of gratitude. I can feel the heat rise within his body. I'm sure he's blushing bright red right now. And it takes a moment for him to register my actions before he returns the hug just as tightly. A bit too tightly.

Pain flies up my spine from the pressure of his grip.

"Too...tight," I breathe out through gritted teeth.

Immediately, he releases me, apologizing several times.

"It's okay, it's okay," I reassure him even though it will be twice as hard to climb the ladder now.

Newt sighs with relief.

"I'll bring you some water later when it's time to start the tour of our 'beloved' Glade," he says sarcastically.

I laugh and nod as he turns to leave.

I look up to the top of the treehouse.

"Time to think," I whisper to myself before I begin the treacherous climb to the top.