Equality

As Minho led me back to the gathering hall, I couldn't help but tear up a little. I was really trapped here, surrounded by giant walls and guarded by hormonal boys. In fact, I wasn't just trapped physically but mentally as well.  My lack of memory, which regarded knowing WHAT things were but not HOW or WHY I knew them WITHOUT getting answers to all my questions, was crippling.

I stop in my tracks and hug myself, whimpering as the tears fall down my face. Minho turns around and sees my state of emotions and sighs with sympathy.

"Hey now, don't cry. It's okay, sweatheart," he says walking over to me and begins to rub circles on my back. "Shucks, this place must be scaring the klunk out of you, being the only girl and all."

I nod my head and wipe my tear-streaked cheeks. Some of his words are unknown to me but I can tell he means well. Taking a deep breath and releasing it, I look up at the boy next to me. He smiles and his eyes are filled with concern for my welfare. I don't trust him yet but I'll settle with cooperating.

"Greenie are you okay?" Newt asks me as he trots up to us, also very concerned.

"Yeah, I think she'll be alright," Minho answers for me, giving me one final pat on the back.

"Well if you are, Alby wants to get the meeting started and wants you at the front. Everyone's waiting," Newt says, offering his hand to me.

I just nod and walk past the two of them towards the gathering hall. I put my hands in the front pocket of my hoodie to depict my independence.

'I will only cooperate,' I think as I march to the gathering hall. 'If I'm gonna do what they say, I'll do it my way.'

Where this sudden boost of confidence came from I know not, and it surprises me, considering my circumstances. Since crying gets me no where, I guess being stubborn is my default. Maybe I'll even use some of their weird words and names to make my point when necessary.

Minho and Newt walk up next to me, one on both my sides. That's when I realize how much taller and stronger they really are compared to me. I never stood a chance against Minho while trying to escape. If winning against them isn't possible, than being with them will be for my benefit, which means I'll have to make it clear to them that I'm an equal. I'll have to be a boy.

As we enter the gathering hall, I notice the benches filled with teenagers of all ages and races. They all turn and look at me as if I'm the answer to life itself.  That is, all of them except for the two boys in the center, Alby and the boy with whom I had a cat fight. I still don't know his name.

"Sit down, Gally," Alby says to the boy, who had his arms cross and was glaring at me.

'I guess Gally is his name than,' I think as I stand next to Alby.

Alby leans down towards my face and whispers in my ear, sending a shiver down my spine, "Are you ready?"

I whisper back, "Yes."

Alby straightens and clears his throat, getting the attention of the boys who had been talking amongst themselves. I take a deep breath and prepare myself for the worst...well, for things to get worst.

"This meeting will now come into session," Alby declares like a manager of a business. "You all know what happened this evening, or should I say WHO happened this evening. I present to you the first girl of the Glade, men." He gestures towards me.

I blush with embarrassment and shyly wave my hand at them as the boys just stare. I hear Gally scoff.

"H-Hi," I mumble.

"Yes, right," Alby cuts in. "You all know how it goes after coming up in the box, remembering nothing from your past, so she hasn't remembered her name yet. From here on out, you will address her as "Greenie" like the rest of you were your first month here."

The boys nod in understanding.

'So that's why Newt was calling me Greenie,' I think. 'But just listen now and think later.'

I turn my attention back to Alby.

Alby continues, "Now you all know the three rules we have here: 1) Do your part, 2) Never hurt another Glader, and 3)," he looks at me for a second, "Never leave the Glade. But now we have to add another one because a girl is here now."

I remember my plan of making them know I'm an equal and I speak up.

"Excuse me," I say, alarming half the crowd and startling Alby, "But I don't believe making any new rules are necessary just because I'm a girl. I'm just as capable of handling myself as any boy."

I fold my arms in front of my chest. I hear some boys snickering in the back and I make an intimidating face at them.

"But Greenie," Newt chimes in, "you just ran off sobbing. How can we trust that you won't do that again?"

I notice that he's being sincere, trying to make a point, not argue with me.

I answer, "Because if you promise to treat me as an equal, than I promise to act the part."

I may seem confident on the outside but on the inside I'm screaming.

'Just keep the act up,' I encourage myself.

Newt and Alby glance at each other as if they can read one another's minds.

"Alright," Alby says and looks at me with eyebrows raised, "If you promise to follow our rules and keep your emotions in tact, than we promise to treat you with respect."

I nod and give a slight smile.

'That's right, girlfriend, you tell them boys how it's done!' I congratulate myself.

"Deal?" Alby asks.

"Deal," the rest of us say in unison.

By now it had gotten dark. My first night in the Glade had begun. I feel goose bumps rise on my arms and I shiver.

That's when Minho stands up from a bench and proclaims, "Alright, shanks! Time to start the bonfire!"