Breakfast

"Greenie, y-you said your name," Newt beams.

The pounding in my head from my panic has left and I register what I just said.

'Y/N, my name is Y/N,' I think and smile along with the rest of the boys who are grinning down at me.

"I remember my name! Y/N! It's Y/N!" I exclaim, jumping over the broken glass and crash into Newt. I throw my arms around him and he returns the hug as Minho and Frypan pat me on the back.

My heart soars at the fact that I remember something from my past. Finally, I have something to call my own. A title. A name. Not "just a girl" or "sweetheart," not even "Greenie" that I've come to be accustomed to being called by Newt, but Y/N. And it's just enough for me to feel like things could get better, that I'll be okay, and that I'm not just stuck in a puzzling place with perplexing people.

Releasing Newt, I take a step back and turn to Frypan.

"Sorry about the jar," I apologize, rubbing my arm awkwardly.

Frypan waves his hand dismissively, replying, "Don't worry about it...Y/N. That's what you said, right?"

I nod.

Minho chuckles, "Come on, Y/N. Let's finish our breakfast before it gets cold."

I follow him back to our table, Newt trailing behind us. We sit on the benches and finish our food. Minho finishes first and excuses himself with a belch and a quick wink at me before leaving the Homestead. By now, a few more boys, who I saw at the fire last night, have seated themselves at random tables with their own food, looking as wasted as drunken sailors.

I take the last bite of an unfinished apple slice and Newt offers to take my plate back to the kitchen. I hand him my empty plate and watch as he saunters off through the tables toward the kitchen.

'What a gentleman,' I think and rest my elbow on the table to place my cheek on my hand.

As I yawn, Gally takes a seat across from me, folding his arms in front of his chest.

"Morning, Greenie," he says matter-of-factly.

I mimic his actions and reply in the same tone of voice, "Morning, Gally."

I don't even attempt to tell him that I remembered my name. Something about Gally makes me think he doesn't deserve to have the knowledge of my special name, at least not yet.

"Poppies," he states.

I look at him as if he's gone mad.

"What?" I ask.

"Poppies. That's my secret ingredient," he answers, looking down at the table. I almost see a blush appear in his cheeks.

"That's a flower, right? They make you feel sleepy," I inquire.

'I wish I could remember how I know this,' I think to myself as Gally takes in a deep breath.

He nods.

The fact that Gally knew that a certain type of flower could make one drowsy was impressive. It meant that he had a soft side, knowing facts about flowers. A part of me felt ashamed for judging him too soon, so I decide to tell him my name.

"It's Y/N, by the way," I smile at him.

He looks up at me and grins back. I can tell he likes my name but because he's Gally he won't admit it.

"Funny name," he retorts.

'Knew it,' I think.

I stand up and wave, saying, "See ya later, Gilbert."

He frowns and I laugh as I walk to the kitchen to find Newt, who still hasn't come back from returning our plates.

'I wonder if I had a funny personality in my past,' I mentally question as I spot Frypan.

I notice he's already cleaned up the glass on the floor.

"Hey Frypan, have you seen Newtieboy?" I request.

He shakes his head, continuing to peel a potatoe with a rather sharp knife.

'Now I know where to get a weapon should I need one,' I think and leave the Homestead through the back kitchen door.

When I step outside I notice that the sun has risen above the walls. The chill from earlier has disappeared and a nice warmth beams down over the Glade. Again I notice the towering walls, and I remember the wicked screeches from last night as a shiver runs down my spine.

Suddenly I notice a gap between the stone walls, and I feel stupid for not seeing it before. The gap goes all the way up to the top of the wall and leads into a long corridor filled with vines growing up the walls just like the ones surrounding the Glade.

'There's a way out!' I think. 'Why has no one said anything about this?!'

"NEEEEWTTT!!!" I scream, striding over to the gap between the walls.

Out of nowhere Newt appears at my side, patting.

"Y/N, what's wrong," he asks, bending over as he tries to catch his breath.

I jump a little in place and point to the opening.

"There's a freak'in way out of the Glade, Newt!" I shout with excitement.

This catches Newts attention and he bolts upright with concern creased deep in his face.

"No, don't go in th-" he starts to warn, but it's too late. I've already bolted off towards the dark corridor.

However, right before I can enter through the gap, a hand grips my arm and rips me backwards and I fall on my back. A shadow casts over me and I gaze up to see a dark male standing over me, hands on his hips.

"No one enters the maze," Alby booms.