(10) Impossibly Possible

"I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light

"I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light."

-Helen Keller

There was something so familiar about him - his hesitant stance, his cold eyes, the scar that cut through his cheek

There was something so familiar about him - his hesitant stance, his cold eyes, the scar that cut through his cheek. Adira had seen him somewhere before, perhaps in a forgotten memory or maybe a chance meeting one day at the Plaza. She was clueless, but she felt as if she recognized his presence.

She hadn't meant to fall asleep when she curled up on the thin, frigid mattress, but she drifted off and then he was there in her dream. He seemed so real that she could have placed her hand on his cheek and warmed his icy glare. There was anger in his eyes, but buried beneath was a layer of fear.

He was there one minute, and then he was gone, shrinking away into the distance, the floor crumbling beneath him as he tried to shorten the growing distance between them.

As he plummeted through the blinding white abyss, she had startled awake.

Her hair was damp, strands sticking to her clammy forehead and the nape of her neck. She pulled at the back of her thin grey shirt they had given her to wear, separating the now drenched material from her sweaty skin. She glanced around her cell, searching, but she was alone - cold and alone.

He was just a dream, yet his presence still filled the cell around her. If only the Pits had been a dream. In reality, she would be eating Bea's homemade dinner, then she'd snuggle up in the guest room under the warm blankets that Bea knitted herself. What did Bea think of her now? Was she repulsed that she had been housing a supposed Wielder all those years? When the Council realized that Adira was innocent and set her free, would Bea welcome her back? There was no way in hell that Bea didn't find out what happened.  Adira was sure that her face was plastered on every television screen.

"You're awake," a voice echoed into her cell. Looking over her shoulder, she peered through the bars and spotted Ryder in his cell across from her own. "You know, I slept the whole first day I was here."