(16) Friend or Foe (Part 2)

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

They waited by the doors for their death, capture, or escape

They waited by the doors for their death, capture, or escape. If Marina's palms sweated anymore, her skin would prune. The muffin she had eaten that morning threatened to end up on the floor in front of her.

Casson told them that Authorities would be guarding every entrance of the building except for the main. One crew would sweep the building, going from door to door, questioning all inhabitants for Wielder activity.

It was nearly impossible, but Marina was able to pull the frigid air and the snow back in. She was about to explode as they stood in the hallway outside the main doors to the apartment building.

Casson's voice rang out from the street just as they planned, pulling the Authorities' attention away from doors.

"Don't worry," Colson whispered, squeezing her fingers. He held tight even though she was cold as ice. "I'll get you out of here, no matter what. I'll keep you safe."

Her hammering heart calmed until Ronan said, "Let's go." He stepped outside first, then Wren passed in front of her. They were the same height, but Wren just seemed so much smaller. Colson gave Marina's fingers one last squeeze before letting go and following the line. Marina took a deep breath and finally stepped through the doors.

"This is the third sweep in two months," Cassan's voice drifted to Marina's ears from the street. "Can't you cut us a break?"

Marina and the group were out in the open now, hugging the wall as they silently crept by the Authorities scattered in the street. A couple of vans were parked, men in white crouched behind their open doors, their guns pointed directly as Casson.

"Do you think we cut anyone a break?" one of the Authorities laughed stepping out from behind a large truck. Marina's eyes trailed up to see the sound system on the top of its hood. That must be where the alarm came from.

Casson raised his hands into the air when he realized how many guns were pointed in his direction. "Are the guns necessary?"

"They are if you don't get off the street and go back into your apartment."