Chapter Four

Matt had been cooped up in his room all morning preparing for the moment that would change his life forever. Whether it was for better or for worse, was yet to be determined.

He kept repeating the words he was going to say over and over in his head. Matt was nervous beyond words. He was about to tell his pastor father that he's gay.

He knows that it will most likely come as a shock to his father but he is hoping that being his son, he'll accept him no matter what.

Colin was also back home, preparing to tell his parents that he's gay. After a month together and hiding their relationship, they felt they needed to tell their family who they are instead of being someone they're not.

But neither Matt or Colin could have prepared themselves for what would happen from coming out to their parents.

"You're sick Matt! What would your mother say if she was here?"

"My son is not gay. You will not be gay. I will not permit such things in my house."

"This is just a phase and when you realise that, you need to go to church and ask the Lord for forgiveness. I don't want my son going to hell for his sins."

Matt ran. He ran as far as he could. He stopped to catch his breath and he found himself in the forest just outside the town.

It was quiet. The only thing he could hear was the loud voices in his head that wouldn't shut up. The adrenaline had worn off and Matt collapsed to the ground, the tears beginning to run down his face.

He knew his father wouldn't be entirely happy with the fact that he was gay but he didn't expect him to almost hate him for it. Matt wasn't even sure he was welcome home. Where would he stay if he couldn't go back home?

He pulled out his phone and saw he had a missed call from Colin. Colin probably had more luck in coming out to his parents. He dialled Colin's number but Matt didn't expect to hear sobbing when he picked up.

"Colin?"

"Where are you?" Colin sounded broken. Matt's heart broke because Colin coming out to his parents was just as bad.

"I'm in the forest just outside of town."

"I'll be there." Colin hung up without another word.

***

It had been a week since they came out. Life for the both of them have changed for the worse. Having a pastor father and your boyfriends mother working in the towns most popular diner, news is bound to spread like wild fire.

Even when the new spreads outside their homes, the reaction wasn't good. Matt and Colin were finally happy to be out and to be able to be like everyone else despite their parent's reaction so they would hold hands in school and when they were out and about but they should have know better.

A group of guys from school would bully the both of them to no end. The people on the street would call out vile names to them. So Colin and Matt would hide from everyone. The forest was their favourite place. No one would look for them there.

Colin's father was more physical when it came to his anger. There were some days when Colin would have a new bruise on his body. It was harder for Colin and Matt wished he could some how make it a little easier for him but he didn't know how.