Chapter 1- Digging Your Grave

It was only seven in the morning when they came for me; kicking in the door of the only home I’d known all my life. My mother had tried to warn me before they forced their way inside, tried to hide me, but it was too late. Even if I had gotten out, they would’ve found me eventually and killed everyone who tried to keep me from them.

My little sister was crying from her side of the bed as they dragged me away, disheveled from sleep and beyond pissed. I bit and kicked, trying to get away. It wasn’t possible though, four fully trained guards against someone like me was a match where everybody knew who would win. All I could do was reach out to push hair out of her face before they took me down the stairs.

Mother tried too, tried to keep me. She stood as much of a chance as I did, and even together our efforts were for naught. They were just too strong for the two of us to handle on our own.

Outside of the house they shackled my hands and feet, then shoved me in the car. I still fought at this point, but my efforts were halfhearted. Why should I waste my energy on a fight I knew I couldn’t win, when I could save it for when it was needed?

I knew why they were taking me. It was obviouse from the Lemnar X symbols across their uniforms, the way they said nothing and handled things in an overly collected manor. They knew I was going to die, and even if they had souls despite their cruelty, the guards wouldn’t speak to me. I was scum to them, one of the lowlanders.

Perhaps I should explain what had happened to me, what had gone on.

The lowlands are barren, nearly impossible to survive in. It’s where the trash goes, and where the people with defects were sent to live. Even those who are pure but find themselves offspring of a Defect would be sentenced here.

Defects are, of course, the defected ones.

The Society is exactly what the name implies- a society, a perfect one. Streets lined with identical, beautiful houses. People who get along, and never find themselves in the grips of disease or death. Of course, this is just the more suburban area.

Dix is the center of everything, the entire planet. Located in what was once North America, it’s where the government is, where all-important going-to-better-mankind experiments go on. That, of course, was where Lemnar X’s base was.

Lemnar X itself strove to create the first “perfect” human. They pushed for immortality and other abilities that mankind was not originally crafted with, like shape shifting or flying. Lemnar X, or LX for short, was close to achieving this.

All subjects that had undergone the transformation had died, until now.

***

In case you didn’t catch on, I was now LX’s plaything. I was theirs to test upon, completely helpless. They treated me like little more than a common criminal, and it made me wonder why they chose me if they hated my kind and I so much. 

I myself wasn’t defected, my father had been. His defect had killed him in the end, but I didn’t even remember him. He died when I was just a tiny little kid, and I had no memories left of him besides for what my mother told me of.

Yawning, I looked around the cell they were keeping me in. There wasn’t much to behold, besides a small cot and a toilet, but I regarded it anyway. This was and had been my home for a while now, after all.

The walls were mainly concrete, but that was O.K. Concrete was a fine color, and I had light so it’s not like I was always in the dark, but overall it was a pretty shabby place.