Chapter 8- Poisoned Water

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I wear my crown of thorns and pull the knife out my chest,

I keep searching for something I never seem to find,

But maybe I won’t because I left it all behind.

“Lea?” Dylan asked, following me down the stairs as I scampered towards my room in a rush. I glanced at him over my shoulder before going in, beckoning him to shut the door behind him.

“What, Dylan?” I asked, beginning to pack my stuff up. I paused and looked around in confusion. “Where’s Max?”

A broken look came across him, and he struggled for the words to express what happened. Look into his mind. You can do so now, read thoughts and walk in memories and dreams. You’ve evolved. The dark voice in my head purred and I obliged, entering Dylan’s head.

I didn’t have to search for the memory of what occurred was at the forefront of his mind, brought to attention by my question. The pain he felt towards what happened pulsed around me and I felt his sadness and hurt as my own.

Dylan, whether he knew it or not, was completely exposed. I could tear him apart if I wanted, and while the dark voice wanted me to, it recognized the man’s importance.

I pulled out of his mind once I had found what I was looking for. It wasn’t my place to intrude, and while it may be necessary at one point I wouldn’t do that without his permission.

The Society had found the two of them and killed Max, but had let Dylan escape to be crippled by the experience. I knew he would be battling his demons now as well.

I shook my head in shame. “Looks like I’m going to kill quite a few people,” came from my mouth before I could stop it, and the dark voice practically danced in delight. It had been waiting for this.

Dylan looked at me in confusion. “Power. Let’s not focus on that right now. We need to get out of here immediately,” I said, finishing up packing and swinging the pack over my shoulders. I made him carry the tent himself; we could each take a bag.

“Why?” He asked, following me nonetheless. I waved him off and vowed to tell him later as I dropped the room key off at the front desk. This inn wasn’t safe; I needed to get out.

The woman at the counter looked as me suspiciously. “Family emergency. I’m going to be staying with them and no longer need your fine room. Thanks,” I replied and hurried out.

The streets, thankfully, were still clear. I didn’t need to worry about fighting through the masses and at the same time keep an eye on Dylan.

Now I’m stuck with this, and that’ll never change,

Always a part of me, until the very last day,

“I’m but we don’t have much choice. We’re travelling dragon style,” I informed Dylan as we finally reached the other side of the city and exited the gates. He looked hesitant but there wasn’t enough time to argue because I had already shifted into the great golden beast I loved.

I wrapped my tail around him and lifted, placing him on my back. You better hold on tight, Dylan. My voice rumbled in his head and I felt him grasp onto one of the spikes that jutted from my back, and I hoped it would be enough.

To be honest, I hadn’t tried flying in my dragon form so I didn’t know how it would be, but I was curious to find out. I ran forward to gain momentum before my wings shot out and I jumped from the ground, lifting off immediately.