Chapter 3- Allies and Battle Speeches

“Well, they came for you, what was it? Nine or ten weeks ago?” Mrs. Henbry began. I nodded, confirming this to be the truth, and she continued. “It was only a few days later that they came back. Your mother was immediately shoved into a car, I believe, but your sister was still inside.”

“The men went in to get her, and came back out without her. I swear I heard screams and a gunshot, and with the Society anything is possible, but I didn’t want to interfere. I may seem like an old woman with nothing to live for, but I certainly don’t want to die.”

“Who said you would’ve died, had you gone over there, Mrs. Henbry? Did anyone threaten you?” I asked, concerned.

“Nobody had to tell me. Interfering with the Society automatically signs your death warrant, child. I didn’t want to mess with their business. I’m sorry to say but your family was not important enough to stick my nose out, only my own family is that important. We may have been close, but not that close.”

I nodded, slightly offended, but gestured for her to go on. Now was not the time for petty feelings.

“I haven’t seen, heard, or had any dealings with the Society since then. They certainly haven’t been to this city in the time you were gone. Maybe somewhere else, but you know how they are. They don’t like coming out here, especially because of the fact most of them wouldn’t survive a day.”

“They fear the things they don’t know, Lea. That’s their weakness. I may still be an old woman and I can’t help with whatever you have up your sleeve, but keep that in mind. They can say anything they want, but it’s in the eyes. They’re scared of you, and what you can do.”

Once again, I nodded. Mrs. Henbry stood up off her place on the couch and went to pack me a suitcase, while I continued thinking on what I would tell the people at the meeting.

It was obvious I’d give them the story I had to tell, but what then? I couldn’t handle them like I handled the scientists, could I? These were the people who knew me and grew up with me, they certainly wouldn’t fear me or believe in me to the point where they followed me to their potential death.

Right?

Sighing, I rubbed my temples. What did I even think I was doing? A seventeen-year-old girl certainly couldn’t run an entire revolution. Sure I was a genetically enhanced, practically untouchable seventeen-year-old, but that didn’t change much.

I was still young, and I had absolutely no former war experience. Does that sound like someone you would risk everything you had to follow? Would you put your faith in a person like me?

Mrs. Henbry came back down with a small backpack for me. I had requested not much put in there, just enough for survival, and she had thankfully complied. “I called the town meeting too, dear. People should start arriving. Would you like to start heading down there?”

I nodded and stood up, taking the pack from her and swinging it up onto my shoulders. We exited her house and I beckoned the scientists to follow along. Bowing their heads, they obeyed my order and trailed along behind us as we headed to downtown.

The city was tiny and it didn’t take long to arrive at the center of the town. It was a simple, cobblestone plaza with a small stage, but it was enough for what I needed. Besides, with a population of around maybe a thousand, you didn’t need that much space.

Every able-bodied citizen crammed into the courtyard, looking at me expectantly. There were many shocked faces, and some of the kids my age looked like they were dying to talk to me, know what had happened and why I had disappeared. Knowing the adults in this town, they wouldn’t have told the youth the whole story. That’s what I was here for.