Chapter 5- All These Empty Roads

Got a bottle in hand,

Full throttle,

I’m back again.

The night passed uneventfully, despite the many curious citizens coming over to question us. They didn’t bother threatening us, it was obvious who would win, but instead they drilled us.

Why are you on our land? Why are there so many of you? Should I be concerned? Are you an army or something? What exactly is going on here? Does this involve fighting?

I had wanted to sleep so badly once night had set that I threw up a dome of ice, the tallest point hitting a hundred or so feet high. Not only did it keep people out, but also it changed the temperature enough so that we could all sleep comfortably.

At sunrise I stayed true to my word and had everyone packed up and ready to go before any people began milling about. The ice dome came down, and everyone got back in his or her own designated cars.

Maria was driving again because she actually enjoyed it, unlike me. I wondered why she loved it so much, but never openly questioned her motives. Sure, a curious eyebrow was raised every once and a while, but not once had I ever full out asked.

I had simply sat in the car like everyone else and leaned my head against the window, waiting for the drive to our next destination, Macrean, to be over and done with.

All the lives that I’ve wasted,

This cycle will never end.

The drive, just like the night, had passed with absolutely no problems and for that I was grateful. The sunlight had never broken, providing us with constant heat that wasn’t exactly appreciated.

It was, however, better than the other types of weather we could’ve potentially run into.

We pulled up on the outskirts of Macrean, a foreboding feeling creeping through each of us. Our blood chilled at the sight of the once quaint city, and weariness overtook us.

The place reminded me of the way I had discovered my own house- abandoned. There was nobody in sight and it looked like there hadn’t been in a long time. It concerned me, this didn’t happen on its own accord.

A few people stepped up behind me, carrying weapons. I signaled for them to hold their fire until I indicated otherwise, and we started forward, me shifting into a horse-sized wolf.

This transition was painless, and for that I was grateful.

The emptiness threw me off. I could feel in my new form that this place hadn’t been like this for long, and that there were still traces of humanity left. There was still movement from something living here.

I opened the mind links. Split up, and be careful. There are multiple heartbeats coming from within the city, so watch your back. Human or otherwise, they are to be regarded as harmless until proven otherwise.

Everyone nodded and a few responded with roger that before breaking up into even teams. Now alone, I proceeded forward along the main road unenthusiastically. Something told me that this living being was not as harmless as I hoped.

Got a picture of you,

And the life that we knew.

Now the thoughts of your body is haunting me,

It’s all a show.

After several minutes of weary silence, there was a scream followed by gunshots and the sound of dying men. Locking on to the location, I bounded over immediately, leaving the house I had been searching momentarily.