The Start

(Inspired from "The Boy Behind the Mask" written by IAmTheBrovahkiin on fanfiction.net. Go read that story. It's very good. Anyways, please leave a review! Oh! Before I forget! This story will have elements of both the book and the movies( ex. Dragoneses). It will have swearing and gore. So there's a warning.)

The day couldn't of gone any worse. Hiccup vs. Astrid vs. a mad Gronckle. He hadn't wanted to win, dragon training wasn't a competition to him, and Hiccup had every intention of letting Astrid beat him. "I won't be able to kill the Monstrous Nightmare," Hiccup said to himself as he laid alone in his room," Thor knows I can't." But what was he supposed to do when a Gronckle comes flying at you!? Hiccup dealt with it the only way he knew how to and that was to scratch it under it's chin when it was a few inches away. He tried to make sure that nobody could see him; at least he didn't think anyone had. Hiccup stared up at the ceiling. What was he going to do? Maybe I could show them the truth about dragons, Hiccup thought, Ah...no, it's not as if they would listen. He sat up in his bed. Inside it was quiet but outside in the dark a few people were still chatting about his "success" in the ring. When Fishlegs picked him up and sat him on his shoulders Hiccup saw his dad and he saw the proud and happy look on his face. "That's my boy!" Stoick cheered. That's all Hiccup had ever wanted to hear from his dad but now...it didn't feel right. Stoick doesn't know. And he should never know. I need to get away from the village for the night, Hiccup decided. He got up from his bed, snuck out of his house, and traveled by shadow until he was of the village. Hiccup slipped into the forest hoping that he hadn't been seen.

O

"Toothless!" Hiccup called out as he entered the Cove," Where are you bud?" He scanned the area for his dragon. It was just after dusk so he still had enough light to see the Night Fury.

'Where have you been?' Toothless exclaimed in his own dragony tongue.

Hiccup glanced to his left just as a huge shadow tackled him to the ground. 'You usually come a lot earlier.'

"Yea sorry bud," Hiccup chuckled as his dragon licked him," My dad came back yesterday so it was harder to slip away."

Toothless backed off his friend,' Your dad is the big one with the red beard, right?'

"Yea, why?' Hiccup patted Toothless.

'No reason,' Toothless sniffed his rider for any signs of fish,' I just remember seeing him during the night you shot me down. So why are you here? You're not wearing your flight suit so I'm guessing that we're not gonna go flying.'

"I just need be away from the village," Hiccup admitted. Toothless eyed Hiccup with his puppy eyes, hoping it would make him explain why. "I just need to bud," Hiccup sighed, " And I really don't want to go back."

'Why?' Toothless cocked his head to the right in question.

"Oooohh, uh...no reason," Hiccup stuttered.

'Hiccup,' Toothless grunted.

Hiccup sighed as he sat up," Before my dad left he put me into dragon training. I ended up using the things I learned from you in the ring, things like Dragon Nip and Eels, and because of that I'm the one that gets the "glorious honor" of killing a Monstrous Nightmare in the final exam."

Toothless's eyes widened in shock and he keeled down in horror, 'That's horrible! You can't kill that dragon! It's not right!'