Chapter 8

April's POV

There were light splatters of water splashed onto my face. 

It felt refreshing. I turned slightly, mumbling incoherently into the pillow. Gradually, slowly, then surely, the raindrops began to become heavier until an overwhelming sensation of panic shot through me as a bucket of ice-cold water drowned me temporarily. 

My eyes burst open and I sat up frantically, spluttering. My pulse was racing sporadically. Using two fingers, I wiped wet strands of hair from my face and the haziness from my eyes. A dark form was leaned over me and as I blinked a few more times, Jerkface came into view, his forehead furrowed. When he saw me register his presence, he grinned devilishly.

"You sleep like a dead person. And you drool." 

"What,  aren't you going to get up now? Or are you too tired?" He mocked, a smile pulling his lips upwards. A jolt of adrenaline shot into me again - I was momentarily distracted by him to remember to be pissed as hell and then glanced down at myself.  My body was soaking wet and when I lifted my leg it squelched. 

He laughed and lifted up a bucket triumphantly.

"What the hell is your problem?" I snapped. I was beyond angry. 

He continued to laugh and I yelled all sorts of obscenities at him, my eyes pricking with anger. Then, seeing as he was clearly incapable of feeling any empathy for his actions, I returned the favour and, with a small smile, flicked him with the minuscule water droplets hanging off my fingertips.

I continued flicking him with every bit of dripping water I could physically fling. His laughter stopped. 

I scooted out of bed so there was a small amount of distance between us. I didn't doubt that he would reach me within two strides though. When I got up I squelched to the door as quickly as my legs could carry me, but he blocked the doorway in one swift movement. The laughter lines around his eyes were gone, his eyes no longer laughing. 

Oh damn. 

Way to go April – just go and make your kidnapper angry when he specifically said he'd hurt you if you didn't cooperate.

"That wasn't very nice." His voice soft. Too soft. I swallowed hard but my throat was dry and no sound came out. It was at moments like this that I wished I possessed more courage. As much as I would have relished in muttering an insult or standing tall and making a stand, I couldn't because I was a coward. Aiden stepped towards me lightly, his movements silent - elegant almost. I moved backwards silently until I hit into something hard. The wall.

Oh damn.

He reached me and caged me with two arms so that I was trapped - the action appeared non-threatening, almost affectionate, but all the anger was present in his eyes, not his hands.

He bent down until he was eye level with me and said. "Look, the rules of this game are simple. You don't get to mess with me, I get to mess with you. It's really not that hard to abide. And I think you know what will happen if you break them." He smirked at the last bit. I wanted to hit him so badly but he was so close to me that I was scared of what my actions could reciprocate.  I couldn't move without touching him, so I was ultimately trapped.

"Don't you have anything to say to that or is the courage gone?" 

I swallowed, praying that my breathing would level out. My chest felt tight, my palms wet. This proximity was making me very, very uncomfortable and I wanted nothing more than to push him away. I moved slightly, my body suddenly feeling heavy all over again because of the unwelcoming wake-up call.