Chapter 49

April's POV

My heart beat manically inside my chest as soon as Rick's eyes moved to my own. Me? April as in April Evans? Instantaneously, eyes turned to stare at me, each glare as sharp as the last. 

"M-me?" I mouthed the words, no sound coming out. Smooth April – you look like a muted mime. 

He nodded slowly and flashed a killer smile in my direction, his canines indefinitely elongating. In that moment, he looked more wolf than werewolf. "Yes you." He mouthed back.

"April? Why the hell did you pick April?" Aiden spat the words, his brow creasing.

"Like I said, the Pinewoods pick who the person getting questioned is. Since I suggested the game, I choose the person. And you did willingly agree to it, Aiden." Rick shook his head scornfully. "And I pick April. Everyone here is taking part so she has to answer the 5 questions... truthfully." 

"Well, that depends if April even wants to play." Aiden retorted leaning back slightly in his chair as silence settled over the scene. I remained silent, too scared of my voice to speak.

"Well she stayed for the game and didn't back out when I suggested it, so she's our chosen person." Rick argued. I glanced over his shoulder and puckered my brow at the sight of a rather sheepish looking Noah sulking behind Rick.

His usually smiling eyes were dull and his cheeks were voided of any colour, giving his face the illusion of being sunken in. What's wrong with Noah? I felt a part of me wither at the sight of Noah's obvious discomfort – despite all he'd done, I was still human and I didn't feel hatred towards him.

"Why don't we just ask April?" A slurred statement from a drunken Daniel.

"Umm... I'm not too sure I'll be the best person to pick." I admitted, shrugging. I had no major drama, no tea to spill. 

"Are you too scared to play? Come on April... it'll be fun." Rick's words crawled under my skin and I felt my skin getting hot from how agitated I felt at his assumptions.

"No. I'm not scared or cowardly – if you want me to play then fine. I'll play... but only because you're so desperate for me to play." 

"Fine." He spat back.

"Well, let's start." 

"Good." Rick instantly turned to his 'crew' and whispered something to them in a low tone. But judging by Aiden's jaw and dark eyes I sensed that what was being said wasn't anything good.

Instantly, I felt an array of shadows behind me and I frowned, turning slightly to see what the disturbance was. My lips pulled downwards at the sight of Diego, Emma, Beau, Kaden and Nina standing behind me giving me small smiles. Well, Kaden's usually serious expression wasn't misplaced and he gave me a little nod instead.

"Question number 1." Rick smiled coldly, "What caused your accident?"

I was taken aback by the abruptness of both his tone and nature of the question; my mouth hung open slightly and I heard Nina take a sharp intake of breath. The accident? Why does he care? My jaw tightened angrily. 

"What kind of question is that you little fuck?" Aiden hissed with so much venom laced into his tone that I flinched slightly.

"Let her answer, Aiden."

"Her is called April, Rick." Cole interrupted from somewhere in the shadows, his voice no longer amiable. I was grateful for the interruption. I took a deep breath and found my brow scrunching up as I forced myself to think back to the events that lost me 6 months of my life.