Chapter 33 Part 1

April's POV

It was Halloween night and the street outside was alive. I was in my nightdress and settling down to watch an old horror movie by myself - as usual my roommates were out.

The credits were still rolling the beginning when there was a soft knock on the door. It was strange to get trick or treaters on this floor of the apartment, so I frowned and opened the door with a false smile. Instead of little kids, it was Emma, Carlos, Beau, Diego, Daniel, Aiden, Nina and Matt. So practically everyone I knew.

All the boys had Halloween costumes on. Aiden was dressed as a werewolf (oh, the irony.) Daniel as a overly-sexualised Joker, Beau was Buzz Light year (he didn't look scary, just adorable,) Carlos was a zombie and Diego had devil horns. Matt wore his usual varsity jacket with a few stains of blood on his face.

"Hey April," Emma said casually, pushing past me into the room.

"What's going on?" I moved aside to let people past me.

"We're going to a Halloween party. And you're coming with us."

"No I'm not - I'm staying home and watching a movie. This is my annual Halloween tradition," I jumped back onto the sofa.

"Hey April, you have the rest of your life to grow old, woman. Live a little," Daniel hollered, giving a little party cheer.

Ouch. "Uh-uh. I don't want to go to a Halloween party. I don't even have a costume!" I could hear Diego and Beau at my fridge - if they finished all of my food. I would kill them, I decided.

"Have you ever been to a Halloween party before?" Aiden asked, making my freeze. I bit my lip and shook my head no at him, stomach knotting in embarrassment.

He burst out laughing and made little noises of sympathy making anger course through my veins. "Shut up, Aiden. I'm not a loser, okay? I just - I just hate parties."

"Right, well the only way you can build confidence is by stepping out of your comfort zone Ap. I bought you a range of costumes to pick from," Nina called from behind them. I groaned inwardly. "Hey, you know I love you, that's why I'm doing this."

"Nina, you said that you wouldn't force me to go to parties anymore," I accused, glaring at her. "Remember that deal," I said obviously, raising my eyebrows at Matt.

"I'm not the one forcing you, Emma is."

Emma let out a little shriek. "So you're coming?" I smiled at her slightly and finally succumbed. The last party I went to was a disaster. We entered my room and they slammed the door shut, leaving the boys out there doing god knows what.

"Okay, so here are your options," Nina spoke seriously, throwing several outfits on the bed, my mouth dropping lower and lower at each one of them.

"What the hell are these?" I said in disbelief to Nina.

"What's wrong with them?"

"These outfits aren't me - you know I hate stuff like this." I breathed, biting my tongue when I saw just how short one Wonder woman costume was.

"I don't think they're that bad - they'd suit you April," Emma said, stepping out of the bathroom as she adjusted her outfit. She was dressed as a zombie woman, her entire face painted a pallid white, matching her monotone outfit.

I sighed and dropped my head into my hands. "I don't want to wear any of these." I heard footsteps coming towards me and I peeked out of my hands, seeing Emma's face in front of me.

"Let's assess these options properly first, okay?" I nodded in agreement and flopped down on my bed.

I scrunched up my nose as Emma held up an outfit and my mind drifted back to Kayla - my other best friend who currently hated my guts. I paused for a moment whilst Emma was busy pairing up outfits and stood up, tip-toeing over to the bathroom door.