22

Alexander's P.O.V:

3 months and 2 weeks ago . . .

"Happy birthday, son."

I couldn't believe it. It was as if some part of me had always known he would come back. He was a man of his fucking word. My nightmares had been a subconscious warning – as if I'd known he would contact me on my upcoming 18th birthday. And now, here we were.

"I know you must surprised to hear from me," The deep, hauntingly familiar voice continued over the phone. "But I have been waiting to make this call for years."

No 'hello', no 'how've you been', not even as much as single shred of fucking emotion. He just waltzed back into my life, thinking I had forgotten everything he had done, and that I'd just welcome him back like the long lost father that he was.

My hands begun shaking, actually my entire body did. It took absolutely everything for me to not just smash my phone against the wall and proceed to trash my entire room as well.

He wasn't welcome in my life. He never would be. Not after what he fucking did to us. I had to take this shithead down. That's why I took a deep breath and cooled down my nerves. I had to be in the right mind if I was going to do this right.

"You're an adult now, Junior. A man."

"Something you will never be." I heard myself reply. My voice didn't sound like my own, it was incredibly raw and so venomous, I felt like I was poisoning him over the phone. Which I most certainly wanted to if I could.

A low, calm chuckle sounded in the other end, a chuckle so similar to my own. Only this carried no trace of jolly happiness or amusement. "It's good to hear your voice, son. It's deep, like a real man's. Authoritative."

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just hang up the phone right now and dial the police." I said through gritted teeth, containing my burning anger. It was roaring through my body, making me see red.

The deep chuckle continued. "Alright, here's a reason; If you hang up the phone, I'll have your mother's bank account emptied before you even manage to take another breath. Is that incitement enough to continue to chat with your old man?"

My breath stopped in my throat. He was bluffing. He had to be. He wasn't that powerful...

"You have an IQ over 170, you do the math, son; How long will it take a man with my kind of money and power to convince any banker to reset your mother's account?" He asked, clearly knowing what was going through my head.

By 'convince' he meant bribe. I knew there was a reason I fucking loathed this creature I got to call my biological father. "You have five minutes to tell me why you called me before I hang up."

"I only need five seconds," Came the reply. "I want you to join my business in New York and come work for me."

Now I had to drop my jaw – and that was something I never did. This was too goddamn surreal, it just couldn't even be true. But it was.

And just like that, my head exploded; Every possible outcome and every possible motive scrolled through my head like the end credits of a movie.