Chapters 4 & 5

Wednesday, March 21st, 2007, 9:37 PM

Last-minute surprise

Mind-blowing.

About a half an hour ago, most of the neighbors came to my apartment—I didn’t even know many of them lived here—to say hi, to see how I was doing, if I needed something, or just to “shake a local hero’s hand”. Magda and two neighbor ladies brought me a cake and everything! Surprised by such a show of humanity, I felt like an idiot. I didn’t know what to say or do. I couldn’t manage more than a mumbled “thanks”, one after the other, until they finally left me alone in the entrance of my apartment, holding the cake with trembling hands. My legs trembled too, to tell you the truth.

By the way, the cake is awesome. Truffle, covered with Sacher chocolate and little dollops of cream, just how I like it. After dinner, I think I’m going to gorge myself to the neighbors’ health.

This last-minute surprise and the fact that my wounds barely hurt me anymore cheered up my night. Later, I’ll watch some DVD, and tomorrow will be another day. Mmmm….X-Men or X-Men 2?

Thursday, March 22nd, 2007, 9:46 AM

Regeneration?

Fuck. I don’t know how to explain it. I’m shaking right now.

I got up a while ago today— at my normal time—and went to the bathroom to take a shower, to brush my teeth…, the every-day routine, you know. But when I looked at myself in the mirror, expecting to see my bruised face, I was surprised to see that there was no sign left of my fight with the neighbor. Honestly, up until now I’d never been given a shiner, so I don’t know how long a bruise takes to go away, but I could swear they don’t go away from one day to the next. Not giving it much importance, I started to take my clothes off—fuck, it’s cold today!—and when I took the bandages off my hands is when I got scared. Up until that moment, I didn’t realize that nothing hurt when I woke up. I didn’t even have a scratch. No scar or mark.

For a moment, I thought that I’d dreamt the past two days and that it was Tuesday again… But the bloody bandages and Band-Aids were there. They didn’t disappear.

I’m freaked out. I don’t know what to do.