Chapter 10

Friday, March 23rd, 2007, 9:18 PM

Secondary effects

Finally, home. The invoices and the last-minute meeting with a client almost did me in.

The first thing I did when I arrived was to take an aspirin. The migraines are back, what a surprise! They say that migraines are caused by stress, by an accumulation of problems, or different types of food. I could swear that today’s migraine is coming from a combination of the first and the second, since I doubt that a sandwich with a two-egg French omelet with toast could be the cause. Maybe I should pay more attention to my mother and go see a neurologist; she’s been telling me the same thing for the past two years every time she sees me. The worst is that she might be right: my migraines are more and more frequent, and I’ve already had to stop taking Excedrin and Motrin as painkillers. You can end up “immunizing yourself” when you abusively self-medicate, which is exactly what I’m doing. It scares me to think of the day when there isn’t a single medication left that alleviates me.

In the middle of the afternoon, on my way to the client’s house, Rafa called me—the asshole didn’t call me yesterday, he had problems with Marta—and what he told me calmed me down quite a bit. It seems that when the police showed up at the station and starting asking questions, all of the witnesses “agreed” to forget me. No one seemed to remember any details about me. Were people really starting to quit thinking only about themselves? Were they starting to tell the difference between wrong and right? Or is this a secondary effect of what’s happening to me? To tell you the truth, I thought I was fucked as soon as I read the news this morning.

So. I showered, I dressed and I sat down to write this. Now I’m good as new, and the aspirin has taken effect. I can go to the movies and enjoy Zack Snyder’s new movie as it deserves.

Someone is ringing the doorbell. I’m taking off.