Chapter 26

Monday, April 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM

Improvised adventure

My bags are packed. The adventure starts at 8 AM tomorrow!

I’m meeting with Sara an hour later next to the Arch of Triumph, in Barcelona, and from there we’re going south, following the C-32 down the coast. We’ve already booked the first night at a hostel in Cuenca that looks good, and isn’t too expensive. We’re bringing the camping tent just in case, but the end idea is to try to spend the night at whatever hostel we run across that aren’t too expensive.

The circular route we’ve planned goes later through Burgos, Vitoria, Pamplona and then back to Barcelona, although we’re open to improvisation. So if we see something that looks interesting from the road or on some map, we’ll stop.

I’d also like to see Toledo, more than anything to confirm that it actually exists, but that’s on the back burner, so we’ll see how we’re doing for time.

I hope my old Peugeot 205 can handle what we’re going to put it through for these four or five days. It’s taken me everywhere without giving me any trouble since I bought it second-hand seven years ago, and now it’s nine years old… If it makes it, as soon as we get back I’ll put it into retirement. It deserves a break as much as I deserve a new car.

By the way, I still don’t know what I’ll tell Sara if my nose starts bleeding during the trip. Too many things on my mind and too much work at the office managed to make me completely forget the topic up until now. Although, come to think of it, isn’t this an improvised trip? Well, then I’ll improvise! Superheroes are good at that!

I have the feeling that this is going to be a great adventure where I’ll have the chance to deepen the relationship—if I can call it that so soon—that I’ve just begun. I’m thrilled with the idea of going to new places together while we get to know each other.

I just hope I don’t run into problems. I’ll try to stay away from any scene. I’ve really decided to leave the migraines, nosebleeds, work stress and my recently acquired powers at home. I’m going to be a normal person for one more week, and when I get back I’ll think about what I’m going to do with everything.