Chapter 18

Tuesday, March 27th, 8:33 PM

Relationships

I called Rafa on my way home. He broke up with Marta; it’s the third time this year he has had to go back to his parents’ house.

He started crying on me, and I couldn’t get him to quit talking about her. How wonderful she was and how badly he had behaved with her… Like always. If Rafa could see his relationship from the outside like us friends see it, he would realize he’s obsessed—I don’t think he’s still in love at this point—with a selfish and manipulative woman. The best thing he could do is forget her.

We’ve arranged to meet up tomorrow to drink a few Voll-Damms. That always cheers him up, even if it’s only a little bit.

When I was going up the stairs, the familiar taste of blood started climbing up my throat. At least it didn’t catch me on the train.

This time, it was thicker and darker and quit flowing earlier than before. I don’t know if that’s a good or a bad sign. Maybe I should Google the symptoms. I could be dying and not even know. Ironic, dying just when I think I’ve met my soul mate and when I’m just about to become the first superhero on Earth. It sounds fucking glorious.

Come to think of it, it would be hard to hide something like that in the middle of nature for three or four days. I’ve got to come up with something that doesn’t sound too intense. The last thing I want to do is scare Sara.

After taking a shower, I put The Book of Secrets, by the magical Loreena McKennit, on the stereo and relaxed on the couch while looking at the ocean. A bit afterward, I closed my eyes and led the music take me to faraway, exotic lands, where magic still exists.

And then the doorbell rang, scaring me to death.

It was my neighbor Magda. She wanted to know how I was doing. Apparently, I worried her on Saturday when I left so quickly. I told her thank you for caring and not to worry, that I was much better, and I gave her one of my best smiles.

She finally smiled too—after a few moments of doubt, where it looked like she was mentally scrutinizing me—and asked if I wanted to have dinner with her tomorrow. I refused her invitation, alluding to the situation with Rafa and told her that I was free on Thursday.

While going down the stairs, she bid me farewell with a “On Thursday, then. Come whatever time you want. And take care of yourself, Daniel. Your face doesn’t look so good.”

In a certain way, I feel sorry for Magda. I like her. She’s the kind of woman who, while still young and showing extraordinary tenderness, feel alone. You don’t get it. She should go out and meet people, although the idea doesn’t seem to suit her that much. She says she prefers to stay in and read. As far as I’m concerned, I’ve decided to give her company whenever the opportunity arises, even if it’s just to make up for her attention and especially for her awesome food.

Now I’m going to make myself something to eat; my stomach’s already growling thinking about dinner Thursday.