Chapter 3

The cold ripped through his thin overcoat as he made his way back to his car, the funeral had ended and his departed father was put to rest, shrouded by darkness and dirt that engulfed him as his tomb.

Frigid rain began to fall from the clouds as they opened to mourn the great man's passing, torrents of wind ripped across the earth.

Derrick found his car where he had left it, it had been a gift from his father on his 18th day of birth. A gift of freedom, and liberty. A gift that showed his respect and trust of his son. But now that liberty and freedom seems all but dead. He could not bring himself to step back in that haunting car, for to many memories dwelled within it's black walls.

He decided to travel in a slightly less timely fashion and walk to the home where he currently resides.

The rain was chilling and icy, but refreshing, like a necessary pain when exerting anger upon a less emotional object. It was a pain fitting for the occasion, yet a comfort to be his companion on the long walk home.

He hiked the collar of his jacket up around his neck and exhaled a plume of hot breath from his lungs as a dragon seething over its pray. The breath swirled as smoke upward into the sky joining the clouds as they dumped their load of nearly frozen water.

He walked nearest the coast for quite an hour, breathing in the damp sea air, the taste of salt blanketed his lips.

A lighthouse peered through the stormy darkness as a beacon of hope and safety for all a weary sailor caught out in this weather.

Derrick felt compelled to walk towards it as well, as a lost ship in need of rescue, journeying towards the only sign of life in it's sight. Or perhaps as a small insect being drawn towards it's beautiful magnificence. Either way he was drawn to it.

Seri sat in the dirt as the rain fell and shrouded the earth, the water was frozen as it ran down her back and legs, the ground where she sat slowly turned to mud as what had been a gentle sea breeze turned into whipping winds that carried the rai...

Seri sat in the dirt as the rain fell and shrouded the earth, the water was frozen as it ran down her back and legs, the ground where she sat slowly turned to mud as what had been a gentle sea breeze turned into whipping winds that carried the rain as it's passenger. She could no longer distinguish between her tears and the ensuing downpour, as it all blurred together in a drenched mess.

She gazed into the gray abyss above hoping to find clarity in the chaos of her life, yet no such revelation came. She shut her eyes and cried out in anguish, she had always thought herself lucky to have what she did, a loving family... Where has it all gone?

As she opened her eyes, she saw a figure emerging from the dense fog, as if animating from sheer nothingness. The figure was tall, albeit she could not make out the more indistinct features of the aforesaid figure, though she saw that he wore a rugged green overcoat, well fit to its form yet seemingly large for the occasion of its wearing. The figure had fine posture and tucked hands as it made it's way closer through the stormy gale.

Seri quickly righted herself and stood to her feet, wiping  her face free of tears and rain alike. Straightening her  thin coat, she prepared to meet the unknown figure.

As the daughter of a lighthouse keeper, many folks came by their door, whether it be sailors from a boat that ran ashore nearby or perhaps a traveler whose automobile broke down on a nearby road and the radiant beacon, that adorned their tower, brought them to her doorstep.

In either case she would not have herself be seen as a soaked mess at her own home, after all she was a girl of fine morals and upbringing, she would not stand to be seen in the mud as a beggar or someone of lower standards.

Derrick approached the marvelous light witch radiated from the large building, it seemed to pull him, in an urge he could not seem to resist, and so he marched forth, onward through the chilling ocean mist. He was now less than 50 feet away from the spire when he saw a girl shaking off the frozen water from her coat, he saw as her flaming hair danced back and forth in  the wind as a blaze of fire dances, shedding its light.

"Hello there"

She called out in a broken, albeit friendly tone, as a mother would speak to her dying child trying her hardest to stay strong for the sake of the youngling.

As she said those words she came into full view of Derrick, his breath left his being as he gazed into her infinite blue eyes. They were as brilliant oases in a magnificent desert, her cheeks were like dunes of sand that swayed in the wind as she spoke. Surely he had stumbled upon an angel, perhaps a messenger sent by God to comfort him over the lose of his father. Of course this was the only contemplation that could justify this angelic being.

"Uh hey!"

Derrick said uneasily, clearly caught off guard and speechless by her sheer majesty.

"What brings you here?"

She asks, acting as if no problem, physical or emotional had predated their meeting, though not doing the best job of it.

"I- uh"

Derrick knew not why he had come, or what had brought him to her doorstep, and he was too dumbfounded to think of a cleaver response.

She coughed a giggle and asked sweetly,

"Well you look quite chilled, would you like a hot cup to warm you?"

It took several second for him to process her soothing words.

"Un yes! That would be lovely"

'What am I saying? What am I doing here?'

He thought to himself. Seri opened the door into the room  that led both to the lighthouse and her home, she gestured her head for he to follow. She knew not what brought this man to her door, but her benevolence forsook none.

He froze, not able to think or move for himself, and so his idol body followed her into the spires foundation that was her home.