Michael x Calum (5SOS)

~Soulmate AU~ 

~According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with 4 arms, 4 legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.~

Michael remembers from a very young age his mother and father telling him about soulmates. He was always curious about the words that were inked onto his wrist, and he always wondered what the words on his soulmates wrist were in response or because of the 'You're weird' that Michael was stuck with.

Michael remembers how he used to sit and stare at the two words, trying to figure out the reason they would be said to him. He remembers when he was having a hard time with school because he just didn't get it, and his mother said to him, that it was okay, they would help anyway they could and it was just because he wasdifferent. Michael remembers thinking that that was just another way of saying he was weird. And he wasn't sure if he wanted to be different.

Michael remembers the first day of year 6 like it was yesterday. He sat in the back of the classroom like always, away from the other children because he had come to accept that he wasn't going to make friends easily (at 10 years old that was something he hated about himself). He remembers how a new kid walked in then, a tan, skinny boy. And Michael remembers the teacher telling him to go to the back and sit next to Michael.

Michael remembers that he was shy, and so he only learnt that his name was Calum when he answered the register. Michael remembers how they didn't talk at all, they sat in silence for like the first 2 weeks, which was fine, because Michael didn't like talking to people.

Michael remembers how they had to start working together because the teacher had pulled them both up to the front of the class and asked them to help each other. Michael remembers thinking that that was the worst thing ever in the whole world, but he didn't want to get in trouble so he just nodded and turned to go back to his seat.

Michael remembers how when Calum sat down, he looked at the older boy and made a humming sound before saying, "You're weird." And Michael remembers how he didn't catch on at first, and only replied with an "I know." Before looking up at the other boy and finding a smile on his face, which confused Michael to no end.

"I like that, you're different, that's cool." And Michael remembers smiling so wide, because Calum was so nice and he had just figured out that he might be his soulmate. Michael remembers how he had a hard time breathing then, but he swallowed what he wanted to say. He didn't want to scare this boy away, so he just smiled.

Michael remembers how Calum then turned to him, pulled up his sleeve to show him the two words inked onto his wrist, the two words that Michael had just said in response to Calum, and Michael remembers his eyes nearly falling out of his skull, because yeah, definitely his soulmate. He remembers then how he looked up into Calums face to see him smiling so wide, that Michael couldn't help but smile back, reaching down to show the younger boy his own wrist.

Michael remembers the conversation after that. It was like they had just become best friends and they had nothing left to worry about. And Michael remembers how it just felt right, talking to Calum.

Michael remembers the conversation he had with him mum that night about how he had found his soulmate, and how his mum was worried almost, because he was so young and meeting your soulmate that young wasn't something very common. But Michael remembered how he didn't care, he had Calum now, so that was all that mattered.

Michael remembers how they grew closer as they got older. Always round each other's houses, sleep overs, going out together, doing things that best friends do. And Michael remembers that it never occurred to him to be anything more than that, because he was 10 when he met Calum and he loves him now like he loved him then, so nothing changed, right?