Chapter 5: DISCOVERY

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Dr. Oberon has insisted that Agent Stone's listeners should leave the hospital because Jean does not, and will not, remember anyone from outside the hospital or before his injuries.

Enjoy Chapter 5 of DUBY'S DOCTOR.

~o~  ~o~  ~o~  ~o~ 

An hour later, Frank Stone was in the supply closet studying the portraits Mitchell had delivered

"Do we have anything at all?" he asked the listeners.

"I learned how to proposition a nurse in Spanish," the man quipped.

"He's speaking Spanish now?" Stone was incredulous.

The man shook his head. "The orderly," he said.

"And a few new swear words in French," said the woman.

Stone let his shoulders sag with his long sigh of resignation. "All right," he said. "Wrap it up."

He left the two people to dismantle their mole hole, and he walked down the hall toward Jean's room. Rounding a corner, he crossed paths with Hector, pushing Jean in a wheelchair. They did not know him, and he pretended no recognition on his part. As soon as they were out of sight, Stone seized the opportunity to slip into Jean's empty room.

Once inside, he searched diligently and methodically, replacing every object he touched. He was a master at leaving no trace of his visit. This search would be different, however, because this time he would take away with him something that would certainly be missed.

Under Jean's pillow he found a sketch that even Mitchell had not seen: a portrait of Carinne Averell. Kyle Averell's daughter.

Stone rolled up the sketch, clutched it in his hand triumphantly, and hurried back to the supply closet. He opened the closet door and snapped at the two surprised listeners: "Forget it! Plug it all back in! We stay!"

He backed out, shut the door, and strode to the nurses' station. "Where's Dr. Oberon?" he barked.

 Oberon?" he barked