Chapter 5 | part 3

Dressed in a sky blue cotton gown fringed with white, Eliana walked in silence beside Ashan as he escorted her to Samsu's chambers.

In the nicest way she could, Mari had insisted that Eliana wear this dress – cotton was easier to scrub than silk, and easier to repair if ripped.

She was outwardly quiet and composed, mentally preparing herself for the fact that, for the immediate future, her body was not her own. At Kisha's bedroom shrine, she had prayed to Enlil for the strength to get through whatever was to come, and to Ninazu to heal her injuries quickly.

Ashan coughed quietly, 'how are you feeling?'

'Fine,' she replied. 'A little nervous.'

In truth, she was more than a little nervous, but until she knew more of this man, she would not say anything that he might repeat to Samsu to put her at more of a disadvantage than she already was. Samsu's guards were famously loyal.

'How are you liking it at the palace?'

'Well enough,' she said carefully. 'It is good to be with my sister again.'

'So, you're happy here? You have everything you need?'

'Everything but my freedom and my dignity!' she snapped. He was being kind, trying to take her mind from what was to come, but the questioning set her on edge.

Ashan fell silent.

'I'm sorry,' she said, a moment later. 'It's not your fault. Yes, I am happy enough here, thank you, between... interruptions. The palace is certainly more luxurious than my father's home.'

'Luxury always has its price,' observed Ashan. 'There are things you can do to ease his temper.'

She gave him a sideways glance. 'Like what?'

'Well, when we go in, just bow. Don't wait to be told, just do it, and do it the Babylonian way. Stay there until he decides to honour you with his attention, and never speak unless spoken to.'

Eliana nodded. All this she had already learned from experience.

'Certainly never look him in the eyes. Only once a man reaches the rank of general is he allowed to do that. Ermm,' he paused for thought, wrinkling his forehead. 'Seem willing. Above all, never question him.'

They had reached the chamber door. Eliana tried to commit all Ashan had said to memory, though much of it grated against her nature.

He caught her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. A little overwhelmed by the kindness, and still sure not to make of it, she squeezed back.

Entering the chamber, Ashan moved silently to his post. Eliana took a few steps into the room and sank gracefully into her bow. She waited, nervous anticipation mounting in her stomach.

Samsu sat on one of his floor cushions, the Brute on another nearby. Together, they were discussing a tablet that Samsu held.

She waited, and waited.

It seemed an eternity. Her knees began to hurt from being folded in two on the unforgiving tiles. She began to wonder if he hadn't noticed her.

The two men tossed the tablet back onto the pile in the middle of the rug and walked over to Eliana, speaking about her as though she couldn't hear.

'And so, the whore is here again,' said Samsu.

'She looks like a peasant,' growled the Brute. 'A palace woman in plain cotton?'

'She seems to be learning though. She bows and waits without making a sound. Does she come willingly yet?'

'No, sir. She runs, she hides, she screams, she fights. She is often conveniently absent when I visit for training. She has a lot to learn before she's worthy of a prince.'