Chapter 27 | part 3

Asag listened gravely as Eliana related the story in a low voice out on the roof terrace. She had sent Adra off on some menial errand to be assured of privacy.

'Will you arrange Eshnunna's burial?' she asked.

'I shall certainly see if there is space for her in the royal catacombs,' he said. 'But I have a few other things to arrange first.'

'That's fine,' she nodded. 'As long as the girl receives a decent burial. I'm sure she can wait a couple more days, after twenty years.'

'Indeed, Your Highness,' Asag stood up. 'Is there anything else I can do for you?'

'No, thank you Asag.'

He bowed and retreated.

The next day, she was utterly dismayed to learn what his 'few other things' were. He had been charged with keeping law and order in the king's absence. While Samsu trusted Eliana's judgement as far as matters of general policy were concerned, he had always been of the opinion that she was too soft, too womanly to ever be a true politician. The document that he had drawn up as he departed had left matters of governance to Eshu and Eliana, and matters of punishment to Asag.

Taking his responsibilities seriously, Asag had hunted out the two slave boys who had acted as Susa's henchmen and hanged them above the palace gates, and Adra had received a severe whipping.

When Adra limped in with a bitter stare and a torn and bloodied dress, Eliana had coaxed the story from her before sending for Mari to treat the wounds.

She summoned Asag to her chambers.

'I did not ask you to do that!' she cried. 'Those poor boys were probably offered money, or even their freedom, by Susa to do what they did.'

'They did not have to accept it,' Asag was unapologetic. 'They have broken the law, and been punished accordingly.'

'Are you aware that, many years ago, she bribed Mari similarly?' demanded Eliana. 'If I had taken your approach, your beloved would be dead, and you would never have had your son.'

Asag shrugged. 'Then I am fortunate that you are a gentle queen. But the king left me in charge of law and order. I take my responsibilities seriously. I cannot apologise for acting within the law, Your Highness.'

She gave a frustrated sigh, knowing that his responsibilities were only part of the reason he had been so harsh. If she died, Mari would never be freed, and he could never marry her. As long as Eliana lived, there was hope.

Reprimanding Asag would not bring the boys back, or heal Adra's wounds, but it made her feel a little better. 'I didn't even have any proof of Adra's involvement,' she said, 'only a suspicion. It was not fair to punish her without it.'

'The attempted assassination of a queen cannot be pushed aside as a matter of no consequence. The state of relations with Elam is delicate – they teeter on the brink of joining the rebellion. I cannot touch their princess for fear of making the situation worse, but chastising her spy sends a clear message, and I have set a spy of my own to watch her in case that message goes unheeded.'

Eliana turned away. 'I would not have chosen this retaliation,' she murmured.

'I know, Your Highness. That is why the king left matters like this to me,' said Asag, softly.

'Very well,' she sighed. 'You are dismissed.'

There was no point arguing, she knew. The deed was done. Adra moved around the apartments gingerly, clearly in pain, darting quick resentful glances at Eliana.