Chapter 5

Chapter five

“Let’s go” Cameron clenched his jaws, popping the muscle on the side of his mouth as he did so. I could tell the decision was momentous for him, having to willingly leave two of his friends behind, but it was obvious that the threat of Cara possibly not surviving was more important - I agreed. None of us had any idea what Malum would or could be doing to Val and Cara and it was that ‘unknown’ that scared me the most.

We’d already seen what he could do to her through her dreams and when he’d captured her for a short amount of time last year... I couldn’t even imagine what would be happening with the weeks that passed. A cold bubbling feeling sat at the bottom of my stomach and I gulped loudly. She’d be okay. She had to be okay... She had to.

“We can’t wait around any longer guys... we need to leave now” I murmured monotonously, the fight that had been my voice a moment ago, now withering away with the thought of my missing ex-girlfriend. We all quietly ran towards my car that been parked around the side of the forest and tossed all our bags inside.

“Looks like we won’t be using the extra car” Helena noted.

“It’s okay. We’ll just squash into the one car... there’s no point bringing another one” I added.

“There’s no need” Chimera piped in. Evanesce slammed the back door shut after Blake climbed in after Helena and my eyes narrowed at the two girls standing outside the car.

“What do you mean?” I bit out.

“We have no use for a vehicle. We can travel quite effectively by ourselves” Evanesce answered me with a raised brow. “Now, let’s go” The two girls suddenly twirled their heads, almost like they were stretching out their necks and soon their bodies blurred as they twisted around and darkened into the familiar black silhouette of the shadow. It howled and flew away towards the road glancing back, almost waiting for us to follow.

“This is so weird” I mumbled under my breath as I gunned the engine and sped off after it. The dark grey clouds hid the glowing moonlight completely and, since we needed to leave the campus undetected by The Control, I’d left the headlights switched off until we were far enough. By now, Gabriel, the head of the Healers, and Sicilianna, the head of the Fire-ableds would either know or have an inkling that we had left and hopefully we would be able to be far enough out of their ability reach. “I think we made it without them noticing” I whispered.

It was obvious that I’d spoken too soon when all of a sudden the asphalt underneath car shook violently and cracked like pitch black lightning in the ground. It seemed that they may have noticed us leaving... I thought sarcastically. I yanked the steering wheel side to side trying to avoid any of the tyres falling into the deep ditches, but the road was no longer solely cracking. Instead huge cracked chunks had begun to lift upwards, almost as though trying to overturn the car and I swore as I swung the wheel to the right, barely avoiding another rising chunk of asphalt.

“What are you doing?! They know we’re gone! Turn the bloody lights on!” Cameron shouted from the front passenger seat. He was bracing himself by clutching one hand on the seat and the other against the roof, his eyes wide in panic as they searched the road for more Earth-abled traps.

“Shut up! Shut up!” I shouted back, but switched the lights on nonetheless.

The road looked like a mixture of the choppy waves from the sea and the after effects of an earthquake. I silently thanked myself on bringing the jeep instead of a smaller car, but the thought quickly died when I noticed a large, long empty hole in front of us that stretched right across as far as I could see. The road had been split so badly that the car would have to practically fly across the ditch to make it. There was no way around it, and if that hadn’t been bad enough, from the massive ditch huge angry, red flames suddenly burst upwards like the burning gates of hell.