Lying To You (Deacon)

Deacon walked before me through the wastes, and my eyes couldn't say off him. The way his body moved so gracefully as he took each step mesmerized me. More specifically - "I couldn't keep my eyes off his arse", as Cait would have said. I'd traveled with Cait for a while, but when Desdemona had specifically requested Deacon and I to check out a lead she'd picked up on an escaped synth searching for the Railroad, we had to split to avoid Cait learning too much about the Railroad's business.

I'd been rather anxious to hit the road with Deacon. I always felt awkward and uncomfortable around him, and given his line of work, he probably picked up on every ounce of it. I couldn't explain it. I liked being with him, but at the same time I dreaded his company. Probably because I'd make myself look a fool in front of him, stuttering every time he asked a question. I wanted to avoid him - maybe do a job with Glory one day - but at the same time I couldn't manage to say no to Dez when she had asked me to go with him.

She specifically told me that she could've sent Glory with him; it made no difference, so long as the result was the same. Even though I had some business over in Diamond City, and a few things promised to some of my friends along the way, I found myself inadvertently dropping everything to be with Deacon. I was lost in daydreams of myself and him, when suddenly his voice sounded, and I looked up, bumping into his chest with a start.

"Something wrong?" Deacon had asked before I had clumsily walked right into him.

My face began to heat as my mind raced for an answer. 

"Sound intelligent... Sound intelligent," I repeated in my own head before actually opening my mouth to reply.

"Oh, uh... I was just thinking there was probably some questions or something we should've assed - asked! I meant asked! Oh my god..."

Deacon chuckled in his own, cool way. I couldn't get much of a read on what he was thinking, due to the sunglasses he was wearing over his eyes. I could never tell what he was thinking, or what he thought of me at any given moment, which annoyed me to quite an extent.

"Can I ask ya something?" Deacon stepped back slightly, so he could look at me properly, and I was still trying to recover from my ridiculous act of complete idiocy.

"Uh.. Sure..." I managed.

"Do you... Like me? Like, in a more-than-just-friends way?"

I blinked a few times, my jaw hanging open as I stared, wide-eyed at the elusive Railroad agent. It took me a lot longer than I would have liked to realize how stupid I must have looked, but if the smug smirk on his face was any indication, it was even worse than I thought.

"Well.. I mean... As an independent agent of the Railroad I am not at liberty to discuss my personal feelings towards a fellow agent," I blurted out, quite proud of my bullshit-spouting that time.

"Yeah, sure, I get it," Deacon replied coolly, turning to walk again.

I silently cursed him. His tone was always so neutral, as was his face. I had no idea if he was upset that I didn't say yes, angry that I'd given him the cold shoulder, if he thought I was an absolute twat and was now silently judging me or what he might be thinking. It was driving me mad, until we took a few steps, with me following closely behind him, and he turned to look over his shoulder, a small smile on his face.

"But seriously, do you?" he returned with his overly-sarcastic, usual tone.

"Why do you care, anyway?" I huffed, crossing my arms as I avoided looking at him.

"Because, I like you too."

For a moment I swore my heart had stopped in my chest. Was I hearing things? Did he truly just tell me he felt the same way I did? Did I even know what I felt? What if it was a joke? What if he would go back and laugh behind my back with the rest of the Railroad? 

But he wouldn't do something so horrible. I knew he wouldn't, he was far too trustworthy.

Trustworthy.

"Screw you, Deacon!" I bellowed loud enough for half the Commonwealth to hear me.

"Ha! You should've seen your face!" Deacon doubled over in laughter, pointing at me.

In my excitement, I had failed to remember that Deacon was renowned amongst his peers for none other than his compulsive lying problem. He had just straight up lied to me to see what I'd say. I was pissed, and saying so was a sore understatement.

"I hate you," I turned away, trying to hide my red face, but the early-afternoon sun wasn't helping my cause.

"But I love you," Deacon replied softly.

My legs began to shake. His tone sounded so... sincere. So unlike Deacon. Was it possible...?

"Oh, really? And how do I know that's not just another one of your stupid lies?"

"Because I couldn't lie to you," he stepped over, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

I turned in his arms, and he immediately leaned down into a kiss, an explosion of passion washing over me as I melted in his strong arms, leaning into the kiss. If this was a joke, I'd pay for it later, but for now, nothing else mattered but the two of us.

"I mean, I can lie to you," Deacon informed me rather sarcastically after we parted, shrugging, "but, like, I can't lie to you, if that makes sense."

"Way to ruin a moment, asshole," I smirked.