The Color Of Your Eyes (Deacon)

NOTE: Not all of these will be long.. Most of my other stories I have a word minimum, but I'm not gonna ruin the integrity of these oneshots with overly descriptive crap and so on... So please leave me some prompts or requests as to what pairings/friendship fics you'd like to read or/ideally both! It means a heap to me to have some inspiration in the form of requests!

It had hit me when we had returned to Railroad HQ after seeing another rogue synth safely out of the Commonwealth. When he looked down into the dim light of the lanterns that lit the old tomb, and saw the specks of Commonwealth dust on his sunglasses. When he pulled them off, wiping them on his equally-dirty shirt, with his back to me, that I noticed.

Deacon and I had been dating for over a month now.

And I did not know the color of his eyes.

From then on, it had become my mission to discover what hid behind the shades. But Deacon's eyes were something he kept so closely guarded, like a secret that would send him to the grave. He had told me that the eyes are the best way to read a person, and if they were covered, nobody could get the better of him. I had told him I wasn't "nobody", but it mattered not. He would not show me his eyes.

I tried to trick him a few times, flicking dirt purposely onto his glasses, splashing water in his face, I even tried tackling him to take them off by force, but it was as if the damn things were glued to his head. I tried ordering him to take them off, I even asked his comrades in the Railroad what color they were, but nobody knew.

I chewed my lip as I plotted my next move. No matter what, I had to find out what color his eyes were. Perhaps I could stage a raider attack, and in the confusion and tension of battle, run over and grab the glasses. Maybe I could push him into a body of water and hope they floated right off of him.

Just as we were passing a lake on our way to meet with one of Deacon's tourists, and I prepared to pounce,  he turned to me and I was forced to act natural - whatever that meant in the wastes. I stared at him, he appeared to be deep in thought, and I decided to break the silence.

"What's up?"

Instinctively, my hand reached down to sit on the handle of my 10mm pistol in its leather holster by my side, as I always did when my travelling partners or just anyone in general was acting out-of-sorts.

"Well... This is kinda embarrassing..." Deacon laughed awkwardly, reaching up to rub the back of his neck.

His eyebrows were drawn - that much I could see. I began to panic a little inside, my mind racing through a thousand scenarios as to what could have Deacon acting like this, and I could've slapped him once he spoke up again.

"I forget where this guy told us to meet him..."

"Deacon! Goddamnit, I thought something was wrong!" I threw my arms up in anger.

"Something is wrong, boss! I don't know where the hell we're going!"

"So what do we do then?"

"Why don't we camp for tonight? Maybe I'll remember later. Besides, it's getting dark anyway. I'll set up the tent, can you grab some firewood?"

"Fine," I spat back, half-jokingly, "but when I get back I may just whack you over the head with it."

I could hear Deacon laughing as I went to collect the wood. Stick after stick after battered, irradiated stick. I continued to increase the pile in my arms until I couldn't physically carry any more, though I didn't seem to realize until I dropped most all of what I was carrying.

I was too lost in my thoughts, plotting against my boyfriend to attempt to see the eyes beneath the shades. Looking up at the stars, it was as if a lightbulb lit up above my head.

We could go stargazing together on a hilltop. In the nighttime, there's no way Deacon would be able to effectively look at the stars without having to remove the glasses. Then all I had to do was roll on top of him to steal a quick kiss - and a glance - and I had won.

Grinning the entire way back to where Deacon was setting up camp, I prepared myself.

"Hey, Deacon?"

Deacon looked up from pitching the makeshift tent. A few beads of sweat ran down his face, and his toned muscles gleamed and flexed as he moved to face me. Part of me was attracted to him not just because of his... "charming" personality, but because of his rugged looks, his taught physique. The stubble on his face he left there because it fit his "wastelander camo". I was snapped out of my thoughts when Deacon waved a hand in front of my face, still squatting by the tent just in front of me.

"Hello? Anyone home? Come on, I'm not that boring, am I?" Deacon raised an eyebrow, just over the top of his glasses.

"Oh, sorry. I was just wondering if, after we set up the camp, we could just lay here a while and watch the stars? You know, see what shapes we can se- oh, that's clouds... Well, it counts for stars too, right?" I asked rather awkwardly.

To my relief, Deacon smiled and stood in front of me, and I couldn't help but smile back at him.

"Yeah, that sounds like fun!" he grinned.

---

It was just the two of us, finally, under the stars. Laying in what was left of the grass, by a warm fire, we lay close by each other, watching the beautiful burning dots in the sky. I tried to explain to Deacon the scientific explanation behind stars, but he insisted Tinker Tom had told him it was aliens, constantly watching us, and he was just paranoid enough to believe him.

It was perfect - a sick twist on the idyllic life an American had once dreamed of. A picturesque love-scene like something out of a movie. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Except he still wore those damn glasses. I rolled over, a sweet smile gracing my features as I tried my best to continue with my plan despite the small setback.

"Deacon? Love of my life?"

"What do you want?"

"Oh, nothing, I was just wondering... How is it you can see in the dark, see all the beautiful stars in the lovely night sky... with those stupid sunglasses on?" I tried to keep it as casual as possible, but Deacon was onto me.

"Look," he sat up, and so did I with a sigh, "you're not gonna see my face. You might be able to hold it against me or sell me out to our enemies if you know what I look like!"

I punched him in the arm at his stupid joke - or at least, I thought it was a joke - while a small smile tugged at the corners of my lips.

"Yeah, as if I'd do that to you," I laughed.

"Good, so we're on the same page," he continued to watch me, giving me a confident smile, and I turned away.

"Damn, I've tried everything.. From tricks to threats to asking nicely, and I just can't win. I'll never know the color of your eyes," I mumbled, mostly to myself, but partially to Deacon, who sat up straighter.

"My eyes? You just wanna know the color of my eyes? Geez, you just had to ask, my love," Deacon replied, swiftly moving to remove his glasses.

I looked up, my heart pounding in my chest as I looked into his clear eyes. The firelight danced gracefully in the darkness of his pupils, and I found myself lost in those eyes. Those light blue eyes. I inhaled sharply, before catching myself to question him.

"Wait, I did ask nicely.. But you never showed me! You ass, I've been dying inside to know for ages!"

"No, no, no. You asked me to take of my glasses, not to show you my eyes," Deacon put up a finger to make his point.

"Does it make a damn difference?" I shook my head, half-smiling at him, and he smiled back.

"All the difference in the world."