Painkillers (Piper)

"Blue, quit moving around so much!"

I groaned as I tried to sit up, but Piper's hand on my shoulder quickly pushed me back down. As much as I wanted to resist, I had no strength whatsoever, and my wound was killing me; a chance that it was quite literally killing me.

Piper and I had been investigating a story lead she'd picked up in Diamond City. We'd been way out near Vault 81 somewhere, when we were jumped - yes, jumped - by a Yao Guai. The bear had managed to get a good swipe at my side, breaking two ribs and leaving a nasty wound that had required serious attention, and we had barely made it to the Vault before I'd collapsed, the loss of blood and the pain too much for me.

Fortunately, it seemed I would live another day, but at the moment I felt like I could honestly just drop dead. The pain was excruciating, and on top of that I'd picked up a nasty little infection in the wound. Dr. Forsythe and Rachel had managed to control the infection, but it was still doing a number on my immune system.

I closed my eyes in pain and frustration, laying back in the hospital bed. A hand on my forehead brought an odd wave of relief and comfort, and it then slid to my cheek. I opened one eye to look up at Piper, who was clearly worried, but was smiling down at me warmly to encourage me.

"Your fever's gone down a bit, but you're still pretty hot," she informed me, continuing to let her hand rest on my cheek.

"Hey, I'm always hot," I joked, earning a giggle from Piper. 

"Shut up. Get some sleep," she bent down to place a tender kiss on my forehead, and she turned to leave until she felt a tugging on her sleeve, which was my hand grabbing it.

"Don't go..." I mumbled, accidentally sounding far more pathetic than I really was.

Nevertheless, it worked. She gave me a painfully sympathetic look before sitting back down on the chair beside the bed. I let my head roll to the side on the pillow to smile at her, and she took my hand in hers once she'd settled.

"You're too good to me," I muttered, my eyes closing against my will.

"I know," she winked, and I laughed a little before breaking into a coughing fit, which in turn aggravated my wound and I ended up a hopeless mess on the bed.

When I had recovered to just panting to catch my breath, I looked over at Piper, who was chewing her luscious lip, and I smiled slightly. Her face was always something that could make me smile, no matter what.

"I'll be fine, you know."

"Huh?"

"I'm gonna recover and we'll be back out there causing trouble in no time," I smiled to Piper, giving her a thumbs-up with the hand on my good side.

"God, Blue, you could probably get shot in the head and still get up and walk away," Piper laughed, staring incredulously at me.

"I've had much worse than this before," I shrugged, the pain subsiding slightly as I talked with Piper.

"Did you want any more painkillers?" she asked, leaning in to kiss me on the cheek, and I could do nothing but grin stupidly at her.

"Piper, you're my only painkiller."

Note: That kinda sucked, I apologize xD