Attack! (MacCready)

As you passed through the gates of Goodneighbor, you sighed to yourself. Having to put your search for Shaun on hold while Nick Valentine searched for any clues, you decided to take up some mercenary work, as it could bring in a few extra caps and you may just be able to catch some information on your hunt for the Institute.

You were hired by a client in Diamond City, for a sweep and recover mission. 1000 caps just to clear out some raiders from an old building and bring back a document they'd lost. But the catch was that you weren't alone. The client had hired two mercs to complete the job. Though you weren't particularly inclined to work with other people, you couldn't help but feel a slight sense of relief at the fact you didn't have to take on an entire gang of raiders alone.

Although you had met several mercs on your journeys in the Commonwealth so far, and none had been particularly pleasant. But you figured it was just a day or two with them, you could handle it for 1000 caps at the end of the road.

You were told to meet the other merc in the Third Rail in Goodneighbor.

Great, meeting this guy in a bar, was your first thought, bet he's incredibly capable..

Approaching the bar, you took another deep breath and entered the old subway, making your way down to the rail where the bar was. As usual, Magnolia, the regular entertainer at the joint, was singing in the corner, but all you could see was drunks and ghouls. And you knew for a fact your partner was not a ghoul.

Stepping up to the bar, you were about to ask Whitechapel Charlie when he spoke up before you, making you jump slightly.

"Ah, there you are. Thought you weren't coming. MacCready's in back."

Charlie extended a metal arm to point to a back room behind a closed door. Before you could speak again, he cut you off by telling you to go, so you did.

Opening the door, the room was filled with cigarette smoke, and the first thing you saw was the man you were looking for, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth as he gripped a shot glass with a swill of bourbon left in the bottom. Smiling at you slyly, he remove the cigarette from his mouth and downed the bourbon, before walking up to you.

"So you're my partner, eh? Not quite what I was expecting, but hey, let's go and see what you can do."

"What's that supposed to mean?" you spit back.

"Hey, easy there, angel," he winked at you, making you frown, "just makin' conversation."

~~

The road to the raider hideout was rather long, and filled with an endless amount of pointless bickering between you and MacCready. He attempted to hit on you a few times, but you made it very clear you weren't interested. Yet there was still something about him that made you glad you'd teamed up with him.

"Alright, so how are we gonna do this?"

MacCready crouched beside you, behind an old truck as the two of you scanned the area, taking in every detail of threat, coming up with every idea of action possible. You scoffed, however, and looked straight at MacCready.

"Is there any other way to do this? Guns blazing, of course!"

"If you say so.. But don't blame me if you get killed," MacCready shrugged nonchalantly.

"How could I possibly - never mind."

You pulled out your assault rifle, and MacCready his 10mm pistol, and just as the two of you went to move from cover, you were stopped in your tracks by a dull shake of the earth, followed by a deafening roar.

"Deathclaw! Fuck!" a raider yelled, and MacCready yanked you by the shirt back behind the cover of the truck.

"What are you doing? This is the perfect time to take them out!" you whispered loudly.

"Let the deathclaw take 'em out. We can then handle whatever's left. No effort, no ammo wasted. We get paid, good day."

Reluctantly, you agreed with MacCready, and you sat and watched the deathclaw ravage the group of raiders. The ones from the inside even came out to fight, as tens upon tens of them were mowed down by the savage deathclaw.

By the time they subdued the creature, there was but a handful of them left; easy targets while still alarmed and afraid from the deathclaw.

MacCready gave you a nod, and you went to stand up to attack, but at the base of your skull there was a deep pressure, forcing you back down onto your knees. You could only turn your head slightly, but it was enough to see the sick grin of a raider that had somehow gotten the best of them as they watched the massacre before them. Clenching your jaw, partially out of anger that you'd let the raiders sneak up on you and partially out of fear, you listened as one begin to speak. Looking over beside you, you realized MacCready was gone.

How did he..? Did he manage to slip away somehow? Why did I get caught?

Blinking to yourself, the raider continued mumbling some drug-induced, barely understandable orders. As you stood up at his command, turning to face the man who had a gun to your face, you saw beside him two more raiders, their guns pointed at you, but in the background was MacCready.

Your eyes widened slightly as you saw him point his gun at the raider to your left, and in one shot, he brought him to the ground. The other two turned, and MacCready waited for you to do your part.

A part of you understood his plan. If he were to shoot the others, they would either kill you or have enough time to react to kill MacCready before he incapacitated them, or the bullet could penetrate one of them and hit you. But for some reason you froze on the spot.

Of all the battles you'd been in, all the people you had killed in the name of your family, and you froze now. The raider caught your hesitation, and the grin returned to his face. The other one grinned at you as well. Time seemed to slow, and you could hear MacCready in the background, though it sounded like he was miles away.

"Attack! Attack! What are you doing?! Attack!"

The raider raised his gun to your head, and you closed your eyes, accepting your fate. But the sound of the gunshot you heard wasn't the one you expected. Opening your eyes, you saw the raider fall beside you, and the one about to shoot you could barely turn his head before it was smashed in by the butt of a pistol.

MacCready had saved you. Falling to your knees, feeling as though you had failed, MacCready dropped his gun and sat beside you.

"Are you okay? Did they hurt you?"

"N-no.." you mumbled, "I'm sorry.."

"For what?"

"For letting you down.. For.. Freezing like that."

"Don't apologize, it happens to the best of us."

"I should be dead."

"No."

Looking up, you saw MacCready staring intently down at you, his dark blue eyes penetrating your very soul. There was something in that moment, as you leaned in, slowly, towards each other, and your lips met. The rest was history.

A/N: I apologize! It's been ages since I've updated this fanfic! Thanks for all the reads! Also PLEASE check out "Endgame"? It's my other Fallout 4 fanfic, and I've made it very special by doing an original art piece for every chapter, so PLEASE check that one out! :D