Chapter Five

Headline: SPENCER REMANDED ON UNDER AGED SEED HARVESTING
Headline: UN COMMITTING 20 MILLION IN FOOD AID TO CHINA
Headline: BIRD MIGRATION CONCERNS SCIENTISTS
Headline: MILITARY LEADERS TO DISCUSS ALIEN WEAPONRY
Headline: CANADIAN GREENPEACE CAUGHT ON ALIEN SHUTTLES

They'd been driving for a little over 2 hours as they passed through Thames, a little coastal village that housed the accommodations for many of the loggers and farmhands that worked for the major corporations that owned the Coromandel Peninsula. It was little more than a bunch of barracks with a watering hole or two. The town thrived only to serve the mega companies that owned the land, and the businesses left were those who sold food and drink to the hired hands. As they passed the charge station Valerie pointed out that they might need to charge the car if they wanted to make it out to the valley. Chan ignored her suggestion, waving it away as he took the turn off towards Kauaeranga Valley Community, an old sign post with no sign pointing the way. The road was rough, pot-holed and in need of some major works and Valerie couldn't help the smirk that graced her face as the car ran out of charge halfway there.

'I'll call Carl Braddock for a tow,' she said as she stepped out of the car to make the call. Chan was thumping the steering wheel swearing like a trooper under his breath.

'Who is this?' was the way Carl answered the call. She wasn't surprised, it had been so long since she'd called anyone from the valley, apart from her dad.

'Hi Carl, this is Valerie Terrance here.'

'Val, girl. How are you? What can I do you for?' His voice took on the cadence of an old friend, not the suspicious farmer that answered.

'I'm OK Carl, but I'm stranded about 4Ks from the bridge and my dumb-arse partner didn't charge in Thames. We need a tow.'

'Probably a good thing you didn't charge in Thames, they are demanding a few kidneys for charge these days. I can you do one better though, I'll bring you a clean cell.'

'Thanks Carl,' she was happy he was free to help.

'Anything for you, Sweety. See you soon.' He'd always called her that. She frowned as she disconnected, feeling like she was being relegated to the teen-aged girl who left 10 years ago.

'Not gonna happen,' she muttered to herself. She wasn't that sheltered naive girl any more. She was a cop, called to do her duty.

She got back into the squad car and adjusted the Swatch on her wrist. She sat in silence, waiting for Chan to admit he was wrong and she was right. It was 20 minutes until Carl arrived with a crate on the back of his bicycle.

'A tow? With that thing?' he said with one black eyebrow raised on his naturally tanned face as he watched Carl cycle closer.

'Shut-up, Chan.' So much for his apology, but she should have known by now the arrogant cop didn't apologise for anything.

Valerie got out of the car straightening her uniform, but Carl took one look at her and pulled her in for a hug and squeezed her until she couldn't breathe. He finally let go, and started yammering on about how he'd not seen her since she was knee high to a grasshopper.

'Grasshopper?' Chan asked getting out of the car.

'Yeah, yuk it up, 'Orange',' she said, making a dig at his name as Carl turned to give her partner a hug.

'Not gonna happen, Sir.' he said politely, raising both hands to ward him off.

'Carl, this is Sergeant Orange Chan, Chan this is Carl Braddock, Kauaeranga Valley Community's resident engineer.'